Halloween Party [in progress]

Kei was going to a Halloween party.

Kei never really enjoyed Halloween. At Applegate, the wardens usually recruited some of the kids to half-heartedly tack up dollar store cut-outs of grinning pumpkins and black cats. The kids were encouraged to 'get creative' with their costumes before gathering in the rec room for Applegate's attempt at a Halloween party. More often than not, everyone just wore their uniforms and face paint. In Orlando, Kei barely noticed what season it was, let alone had the time to decorate his bar that fronted as a chop shop. Some things were just a little more important than candy corn...like keeping one step ahead of that pesky detective.

 But since Kei had become a vampire, he seemed to have nothing but time on his hands. It was just too perfect when Nayati called to invite Kei to his Halloween party. Of course, Kei figured Nayati had the upper hand on the costume contest. Being a shape-shifter must have its perks. But Kei was proud of the ensemble he had put together. His hair was expertly tousled, a top hat perched atop. He had been rather liberal with the eyeliner, and the effect was quite stunning if Kei did say so himself.

 Kei gently ran his tongue over his teeth, feeling the sharp points of his fangs. It made him smile. It was just so fitting that he go to Nayati's Halloween party dressed as none other than a vampire. Gaedrian would have a fit, but what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him, right? Kei adjusted the tattered cape around his shoulders, feeling proud that he had managed to put together his costume with nothing but the contents of his closet. He may have been cheating just a bit with his fangs, but why bother purchasing a cheap plastic set when he had a handy-dandy pair already in his mouth? He stopped in the hallway to select a cane to complete his costume. Then the vampire was on his way, a happy grin on his face as he made his way onto the streets. Already things were in full swing. Kei sidestepped a pair of ghouls and a princess dead-set on getting their candy haul. He strode along purposely, swinging his cane as he went, nodding his head at the people who stopped to admire his costume.

 Soon he was pushing his way through the front gates to Nayati's house. The porch was aglow with the numerous jack-o-lanterns scattered about. A few people were gathered here and there, but Kei either didn't know them or didn't recognize them. He sidled past a costumed couple, making his way to the door of the house. He barely had time to catch his [nonexistent] breath before Nayati was upon him.

 "Kei, darling!" Nayati trilled. Kei gaped at his friend. Nayati was wearing platform shoes that increased his already massive height, a pair of bell-bottom pants that looked suspiciously like they were made of velvet, an open silk shirt...and glitter. Nayati waited patiently for Kei to regain his composure. When it was obvious he wasn't, Nayati sighed and flung his arm around Kei's shoulders.

 "I absolutely love your costume," Nayati continued, steering Kei across the room towards the refreshments table. Kei nodded, still staring at the monstrosity of a 70s costume that Nayati was wearing. Nayati could quite ltierally be anything in the world, and he chose to wear that? Kei shook his head to himself, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

 "Did Gaedrian not want to come along?" Nayati asked, selecting an orange-frosted cupcake from the table. After a moment's hesitation, Kei grabbed one as well. Human food might not be nutritious for him, but damn it, it was delicious.

 "He....doesn't know I'm here." Kei admitted. Nayati nodded knowingly, keeping his kohl-lined eyes on Kei as the vampire continued to devour his cupcake."Ah." Was all Nayati said. He patted Kei on the shoulder.

 "Well, maybe next year." He said with a grin before he turned and melted into the crowd.

 Kei was quite content to stay where he was, eating cupcakes while watching the drunken party-goers attempt to dance. But after several minutes, his sensitive hearing picked up on sounds that wouldn't be out of place at a Halloween party....except that the screams he was hearing were full of real terror.