Chapter Eleven

"You're lucky to be alive." The doctor's chiding broke loud and clear through the door of Marshall's cabin even before Ryder entered. "Another fraction of an inch and that artery in your arm would have been completely severed. Not even the hunters could have saved you then, I'd wager. To say nothing of the strain you've put on the wounds you already had."

"I did no more than was required, Doctor." Marshall sighed.

"Well, keep it up and you'll be finding yourself in another line of work." She shook her finger in his face.

His stoic expression softened. "I'm alright, Doctor. The wound will heal."

"Yes, but will my sanity?" She snapped her satchel closed and moved to the door.

Ryder stepped aside to allow her to pass.

"You sent for me, sir?" the lieutenant said.

"I did." Marshall came to his feet. It was clear that enough of his strength had returned to allow him to stand with confidence. "I wished to commend you for your actions in my absence. You rescued the crew under rather impossible circumstances, I am told."

"I lost the Albatross in the process," she argued. "And in all fairness, Father Faiz is the one responsible for freeing the crew. Without him, we all would have fallen on the Havoc. A ship I also lost."

"Yes, well, Kathkan vessels have a way of biting the hands that take them." He gave a slight smile of understanding. "I heard about Faiz. How is he?"

"He's quiet." Her eyes fell to the floor.

Marshall studied her. "You aren't to blame for his choices, Lieutenant."

"With all due respect, sir..." Slowly, she brought her gaze to meet his. "Yes, I am."

They stood in silence for a moment more before Marshall turned to the desk at his back, pointing to a bolted footlocker. "I also asked you here to test your lock picking skills."

"Did someone say lock picking?" McKinley pushed his way clumsily into the room. Slamming the door at his back with a curious expression, he leaned against it as if to hold it closed. "I'm pretty handy at such piratey things, you know."

Almost instantly, the door began pounding against him, angry cries breaking through the cracks from the other side. The Marauder held fast, an innocent look on his face, until the rusted hinges finally caved and he was thrown to the floor with the door atop his back.

"McKinley, you rotter!" Abner shouted down at him.

Marshall looked from otter to badger and back again without emotion.

"Is there a problem, old friend?" he asked stoically.

"Yes, there is!" The Elder stomped into the room, shaking an angry finger in McKinley's direction. "And the problem is right there! The dirty pirate has taken it upon himself to throw the hunters into the hold!"

"McKinley..." Marshall shook his head.

"What?" McKinley pushed the door from his back and flipped upright with acrobatic ease, brushing dust from his cloak. "I only put them there for safe keeping!"

"I'll go see to their release, sir." Ryder sighed as she pulled Abner from the room.

"Do be careful with them, Lieutenant! I need them in one piece!" the Marauder shouted shamelessly after them. "Can't blame me. Va'pour was asking for it, I could see it in his eyes. Good to see you're feeling better, though. We've got a great deal left to do. What with a kingdom that needs saving, a little girl that needs healing, and a sordid criminal history that needs clearing."