Chapter 2

Mia checked the clock which read 11:00pm. Mia shivered just looking at the key on the coffee table. She finally picked up the key running her fingers, along the rusty grooves. Her first thought was why someone would leave a key on her front door at 11:00pm. But, why had she opened the door? Normally she would never do that.

"It's getting late," she said to herself.

She crept up the stairs so that she wouldn't wake any of her siblings. She turned her door nob quietly and hopped into bed. Mia felt restless like she was being watched.

She thought, "Who gave me the key, and why?"

Somehow she finally fell asleep and woke up in the morning. It was a typical Sunday with Mathew giggling as his cartoons as they played. The key still remained embedded in her mind. If she told her parents they might think she was crazy like they usually do. It's probably why the travel so much she thought. Her parents always seemed to take any chance to leave home that they possibly could. Mia always wondered why they had such a big family if they never liked being around. Mia's family didn't just leave her with no supervision. Her grandparents lived next door, but scarcely mentioned why her parents left all the time. Mia had brought it up numerous times but was always quickly hurried off the topic.

"Mathew get dressed we're going to Sunday breakfast at grandma's."

Mia helped the little ones into their clothes and headed over to breakfast. As the 6 of them entered the house they could smell the sent of bacon wafting through the air. This was the highlight of Mia's week.

"Well, hello!" her grandparents said.

"Hi." said Jillian.

"So how's everything?" asked her grandparents

"Good, but..t..t," said Mia.
She struggled to get the words out.

"What is it dear?" they said.
"Well," she continued, "really late last night someone rang the doorbell and left a key their at my house."

Her grandparents exchanged concerned glimpses. They said nothing. Mia was puzzled but something told her to say nothing.