Chapter one

"Hurry, hurry dear" Father called

" Coming father!" I shouted down the hall, where I stood putting a hairpin into my loose bun. As I ran into the main room, where my father and the others sat, I tripped over my dress. Father is always telling me to act more ladylike, but I can't help being clumsy. Sometimes I feel as if I was not made to be a princess.

My Father is Lord Wei, ruler of the Wei empire. He is a kind man but can be scary. Lord Wei is known for being the greatest warlord of his time. I, on the other hand, am his only daughter and can't even walk straight, let alone fight. But even so, I love to watch the archers practice. It's enthralling. Oh yea, my name is Chiyo, Princess Chiyo Wei. I'm a 16-year-old girl with lovely brown hair that has a red undertone. I heard for the upper royals that my red undertone is a curse, but I kind of like it. It sets me apart from the crowd.

Today is coronation day for prince Luang. I hate that guy, yet he's head over heels in love with me. All Luang is, is an arrogant jerk. Today I chose to wear a teal dress with a green sash that goes down the middle of my dress, with white sleeves and a green mesh ribbon that hangs over my arms. Green is Luangs least favorite color.

As I enter the palace main room, I'm greeted by Xing Yu, my maid and childhood best friend. " Princess, Princess!" she sang in her bubbly tone. She's always like this.

" Yes, Xing?" I replied in a joyous tone. " Come, sit, sit!" She orders me. I just giggled and sat down. Xing Yu sat behind me and leaned over to whisper into my ear, " Did you hear, Prince Luang is required to take a concubine to marry by next month". " Well, I feel sorry for whoever that girl is," I jokingly laughed. " But miss, he wants that concubine to be you!" she almost shouted in a somber tone. I almost choked on air. " NO WAY!" I shouted standing up abruptly.

" What's the matter, Chiyo?" father asked in a stern tone, agitated that I was causing a scene. " I'm not marrying that jerk!" I proclaimed in anger. " You're not marrying who?" someone whispered in my ear. I jumped back at the sudden appearance of this stranger. It was Prince Luang himself. " YOU" I shouted. " Oh but you will" he protested in a cocky attitude. I was speechless. " He's right Chiyo, you are to be married off to him," My father said with slight regret in his voice. " No, you can't make me" I hollered as I ran out of the main room. " Chiyo!" Everyone called out after me, but I didn't look back. I kept running until I was in my room.

All I could do was cry. Cry for my misfortune and for my actions that would come next. I had to leave. I couldn't stay and watch my life crumble before my eyes. Suddenly there was a knock on my door. " Go away," I said, but they came in anyway. Thankfully it was just Xing Yu. She came and hugged me. I sobbed, laying my head on her chest. She knew what I would do next. I mean, of course, she did, we were like sisters. We were one mind in two bodies. And for this fact, she also cried.

I dressed in a shabby maids dress and a cloak. I carried nothing more but for some money. The only thing I would keep from the castle I once called home is a necklace. It was nothing big, nothing worth anything to most people. But to me it was everything. It was my mother's wedding necklace. She got it from the market the week before she became my father's concubine. My mother passed away two years ago. She was a beautiful lady from a poor village. She had hair that was like silk, eyes of jade, and a slim figure. Her one wish was for me to be free to live as I wish. That is the only reason I have the courage to leave this hell I was born into.