Chapter 2

I hugged Xing Yu one more time, trying to hold back my tears. " I will come back for you" I whispered. " I know...". That was the last thing we said before I jumped out of the window.

I ran faster than I had ever run before. The forest that surrounded the castle seemed a lot bigger from in it than it was from looking out of a window. Come to think of it, this is my first time outside of the castle.

I continued running for two hours. I was a safe distance away from the castle now so that I can take a break. I plopped down onto the soggy moss that covered the forest floor. I huffed, out of breath from running, and started to cry again. I guess the reality of what I have done is just now hitting me. I left my family, friends, and life behind. What is my next step? Where do I go next? I know no one outside of the castle, so it's not like I can just stay with someone. Looking at it now...... I don't actually have a plan! I...I....I....* plop*

(Time skip)

" Ugh" I groaned as I set up. My head is pounding and the sun is shining right into my eyes. Wait....Where am I? The last thing I remember is sitting down in the forest, and now I'm in a cabin? Oh no, I must have been kidnapped! Suddenly I heard the door open. I shuddered in fear covering myself in the blanket that laid on top of me. A tall man with long white hair, pointy ears, and a montsuki That was white on top with green pants, walked in. He's rather handsome, but still intimidating. " You're up," he said in a stern tone, looking quite agitated. " Where am I? Who are you? What do you want with me?" I blurt out all at once. " I saved you, show some thanks," he said bluntly, answering none of my questions. " Well... Thank you. You don't have to be rude, you know" I replied.

" You are the rude one. Imposing on others' lives like this," he said while carrying a cup of water over to me. I took it, truly grateful. " Thank you" I mumbled. He did not reply. We sat in silence for a while.

" What's your name?" I asked, wanting to start a conversation. " It's rude to ask others names without giving yours first," he said. " Oh, my name is Chiyo, now what about yours?" I asked again. " Asahi.." He said in a somewhat sad tone. Why would he be sad saying his own name?

" What a beautiful name!" I chirped. He scoffed. Why? " How did I get here, Asahi?" I questioned now, still baffled at this new environment. " You were laying in the woods when I found you. I saw you had a high fever and were cut up, probably from twigs and thorns." He said coming back over to me to remove the rag that layed on my head. " Thank you. How can I repay you?". This piqued his interest. "You have nothing of interest," he said, clearly confident in what I had to offer. " Oh come on, I have some money?". " Don't want it," he said as if it held zero value for him. " Fine! Then I will work it off," I said in complete confidence. I had nowhere to go anyway. He perked up. "Oh," Asahi said in a cocky tone. " Fine, then I have a mission for you," he said, clearly just wanting to get rid of me. " What is it?" I practically bounced with excitement.

Before he could tell me what my mission was, an arrow came flying through the window, shattering the glass. Without hesitation, Asahi covered me with another blanket and grabbed a samurai sword that laid in the corner of the room. He flew out of the door, and started to fight with 10 or so men. He's dead for sure. All of these men are armed with deadly weapons, but even so, Asahi beat all of them. His movements were like those of a butterfly, swift and elegant. Not one drop of blood landed on his montsuki.

"Are you okay?" Asahi asked me, walking back into the cabin. " .....w...what are you..?" I shivered. His movements were not human. His demeanor screams danger. " Does it matter?" he asked, his somber tone returning. The way he asked this made my heartbreak. How has he been hurt in the past? He might not be human, but he is kind. Hell, if it wasn't for Asahi, I would be lying on the forest floor, half dead.

I calmed down. " No," I said. His head shot up and he stared at me in utter confusion, as if no one has ever told him this before. Asahi stayed silent. " But, I'm still curious," I told him, trying to get him talking again. "Of course you are," He sighed. "Well?" I practically bounced. " I'm....an elf". " REALLY?" I shouted. " I thought they all died out 500 years ago!". " Well, I'm the only survivor," he said in a venomous tone. I decided to leave that conversation there, not wanting to make him even angrier than he already is.