Chapter 2

We rode home in silence. I hated it because it made me nervous, and gave me time to think of what was waiting once we arrived. The wedding consummation. I had never even touched a man before, father made sure of that, and now I would... I shook my head. You're scaring yourself, I scolded myself. Maybe he would spare me tonight if he had someone else to be with.

"Your Highness?"

"Yes?"

"Do you have another wife, Your Highness?" I asked.

I shouldn't have. It was none of my business. Mother had told me to be careful not to ask a prince such questions, but I didn't care. I needed to know what was waiting for me once we reached home.

He turned his gaze to me and narrowed his eyes. Did he get angry?

"No, I don't." He answered slowly.

I was surprised that I felt relieved when I shouldn't have. This would only mean that I would have to spend the night with him. I shivered at the thought.

"But I have many mistresses." He finished.

Oh, of course. Why didn't I think about it? He was an attractive man and a prince. I wanted to curse, but he suddenly laughed.

"You don't seem to like that," He drawled.

Why would I? But I couldn't say that, indeed.

"It's not for me to like or dislike, Your Highness," I stated simply.

He didn't say anything to that.

I wondered what his name would be.

"Your Highness?"

"You may call me Lucian when we are alone".

Lucian. I repeated the name in my head. I liked the sound of it.

After a while, the carriage stopped, and then a guard informed us that we had arrived. Lucian stepped out of the carriage and offered me his hand. I took it, and he helped me down.

The castle was grand and the garden even more luxurious, with green bushes and colorful flowers. The castle was made of ivory walls and several tall, square towers. The towers were connected by large bridges and small windows covered its walls along with gaps for archery and artillery.

There was a big fountain in the middle of the garden surrounded by grass and bushed in all kinds of shapes. Different range of flowers were symmetrically scattered across the garden. It was truly a beautiful sight.

"Lucian?" someone called and I turned my head to see who.

Four men in royal robes approached us from a distance.

"We came to welcome you and your bride," One of them spoke as they neared.

"Is that so?" Lucian asked.

"Of course, we are brothers after all!" The other behind him smirked.

Brothers ?

"Why don't you and your bride join us for dinner?" He suggested. "We would like take a closer look at your bride," and then he shot me a glance.

Lucian walked up to his brother, standing only a few inches away from him. It looked like he was trying to intimidate him which clearly worked because suddenly his brother's guards grabbed their weapons as if ready to attack.

Lucians guards reached for their weapons as well and there was suddenly tension in the air.

What was happening? I thought they were brothers or did I hear wrong?