16. rootless

chapter 16

chapter 16. rootless

warnings: a little angst, one mention of sex, mary margaret being a prude.

"BAELFIRE is Henry's dad?!"

   With Emma and Henry gone to Manhattan, Killian currently being M.I.A, and no apparent crisis on their hands, Mary Margaret and David had invited Max over to play board games to pass the time. They had been in the middle of an intense game of Ludo when Mary Margaret had gotten a call from Emma and excused herself. A couple minutes later, she'd come back with the shocking news that Rumpelstiltskin's son was Henry's father.

   Mary Margaret nodded. "Yes."

   Max let out a really long sigh and leaned back in her chair. "Well, that complicates things." She just sat there for a long time, thinking, as David and Mary Margaret continued to discuss it.

   "So Rumpelstiltskin is Henry's grandfather?"

   "Apparently."

   "But I'm his grandfather."

   "You can have more than one."

   David stammered a little before sighing. "So, his step-grandmother is Regina. The Evil Queen."

   "Actually, his step-great-grandmother," said Mary Margaret. "And she's also his adoptive mother."

   David leaned back in his chair just like Max. "It's a good thing we don't have Thanksgiving in our land, cause that dinner would suck."

   Mary Margaret chuckled. "Or... maybe this will mellow everyone out!"

   Max chuckled. Then, just as she'd quieted down, she started laughing again, and soon she was laughing so hard that the two adults were giving her matching concerned looks. "Can you..." she forced her laughter down so she could get her words out. "Can you imagine Gold's reaction? Finding out that Emma's had sex with his son?"