𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 1

       "Well, if it isn't Wendy Fielding. What a pleasant surprise"

          𝕴t's another busy day in Salem Massachusetts. The local citizens of the quiet town fill the streets, getting last-minute costumes and decorations for the upcoming holiday taking place the next day. Halloween was Salem's busiest night of the year. Tourists from all over the country come to Salem to take part in the spooky festivities that the town has to offer. Quiet neighborhoods would be filled with trick-or-treaters going door to door to get the biggest candy bars they could find. Streets would be filled with people dressed in crazy costumes to take part in the annual Salem Halloween parade. Every corner would be filled with lights and decorations.

Wendy Fielding, a young resident of the town, was riding her bike through the busy streets of Salem. She just finished her shift at the local library, which consisted of her restocking books on the dusty shelves and checking out books for people. Not many people visit the library, so it was quite empty most of the time. Though the job may some boring to most individuals, Wendy happened to love it. Being the bookworm she is, the library was the perfect job where she could enjoy the peace and quiet and catch up on some reading.

Wendy looked around the town around her; locals walking on the sidewalk, going in and out of shops carrying pumpkins, costumes, and decorations, and chatting with one another about their upcoming plans for Halloween night. Despite the hustle and hecticness of the town, there was a calmness with the warm autumn weather. Wendy loved this time of year; she enjoyed watching the leaves as they change color and fly through the cool autumn breeze.

She finally reached her destination as Crosby's Marketplace. She slows down and parks her bike in the rack near the front entrance. She enters the store and is instantly hit with the chill of the running air conditioner. Wendy makes her way to the back of the store where the deli counter is.

"Have a happy Halloween, Hubie", the woman in front of her says.

"You too, Mrs. Banerjee. I hope you get more tricks than treats", the deli employee replies.

Wendy recognizes that voice anywhere. It was none other than Hubie Dubois. Hubie was probably the nicest guy in the entire town. Wendy would always see Hubie riding through the streets on his bike hello waving at the neighbors. Sadly, he would get nothing but death glares and silence. Wendy felt sorry for the poor man. She hated how much Hubie would get picked on by everyone. She would witness Hubie getting stuff thrown at him, having mean pranks pulled on him, and getting laughed at by the citizens. As much as Wendy hated the horrible treatment Hubie gets on a daily basis, there wasn't much she could do. The only thing she could do, however, was to show him kindness and compassion.

As soon as Mrs. Banerjee leaves, Wendy approaches the counter with a big smile on her face.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Dubois", she greets him.

"Well, if it isn't Wendy Fielding. What a pleasant surprise" Hubie says.

Wendy chuckles at Hubie's enthusiasm.

"I come here every week."

"Of course you do." Hubie gives Wendy a wink.

Wendy places a Styrofoam cup onto the counter and slides it over to Hubie.

"I made you some chicken noodle soup. Sorry, it's a little cold, it's been sitting out a while."

"That is so sweet of you. Thank you so much, Wendy."

Hubie reaches from under the counter and pulls out his red Swiss army thermos. It hits the counter with a loud thud, startling Wendy and some of the customers. Hubie opens his thermos and pours the homemade soup inside the thermos. Wendy crosses her arms on the counter and watches Hubie.

"So, how's your grandmother doing?" Hubie asks.

"She's good. Same as always" Wendy replies.

"I hope she's not still angry at my mother."

"She's the kind of person who doesn't like to let go of grudges."

"Same old Beverly."

Hubie finishes pouring the soup and closes the lid on his thermos. With a flick of a switch, the built-in mixer inside his thermos starts mixing the soup. Wendy gives Hubie a strange look is quick to respond.

"I had soup in here from earlier," Hubie says.

Wendy nods her head. From the corner of Wendy's eye, she notices Hubie's coworker Mike Mundi staring at her. She looks at him for a brief moment then looks away quickly. She tries to avoid eye contact with him, knowing if she stares for too long, she would get lost in his dark brown eyes. Hubie looks over and notices Mike's stares. Hubie leans over the counter towards Wendy.

"You know Wendy, I think Mike has a little crush on you" Hubie whispers. " If I'm correct, the probabilities of him asking you out on a date are very high."

"Oh, he has. Multiple times actually" Wendy replies. 

Mike has been asking  Wendy out for the last five years. And each time, Wendy has turned him down. Despite being rejected multiple times, Mike would stop at nothing to try to woo her, much to Wendy's displeasure.

Hubie leans back and proceeds to call out the next ticket number.

"Yep. Right here Pubie", the voice behind says. 

𝕿𝖔 𝓑𝖊 𝕮𝖔𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖚𝖊𝖉

𝐇𝐢 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬! 𝐇𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 1 𝐨𝐟 𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡. 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬. 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 2 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲. 𝐔𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧, 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐲 𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐬!!

- 𝕬𝖑𝖊𝖝