↳ ❝ P R O L O U G E ❞

7 years.

Seven years is a long time. A very long time. The present world seems to be very changed if you compare it to the world seven years ago. But that's what is constant, right? Change. But still, it is said that things go back to where they've started...but it's just a saying, or is it?

The boy settled on his allotted seat, going back to the place where you lived from when you were born till your pre-teen years gives you turmoils filled with nostalgia. Reclining his head, he closed his eyes, flight from America to South Korea is long.

"Jay..." A soft, shuttering voice called him. He was simply sitting there, whatever happened in the past few hours was something that changed his whole life. His mother was being consoled by her sisters and everyone was quiet. They all expected Jay to be uncontrollably crying but it never happened. He just walked away from there.

She followed him, there was no way she was going to leave him alone at this time. Twelve years old knew nothing about 'giving space', all she knew is that she needs to be with her best friend.

"Jay." She held the door before he could shut it. Without closing the door or saying anything, he walked in and sat in the corner of the bed.

She didn't know anything about how to console him. She didn't even babble like always because her best friend wasn't talking back like always.
Many of the neighbors came and said a few words of condolence but Jay would not utter a word, he just nodded at them and they all left.

"Why do they need to be so sympathetic when they can't undo it, Iris?" Jay said, monotonously. Now that he had finally spoken and made it clear that he didn't need anyone's sympathy. She erased the speech that she had prepared in her head to console him.

"They're annoying, right?"

Jay nodded, not looking at her.

"You can let it all out on me, you know?"

She still sat with him, waiting for him to react, her eyes stuck on his face. Even if she was thirsty or hungry, she didn't leave. She didn't want him to be alone at any cost.
She knew he would cry and she could not miss being his shoulder to cry on.

It was now enough, no matter how much he tried to bottle up his emotions. He could not comprehend anything now or stop his tears anymore.

A sniffle left his trembling lips, he could no longer clearly see as the tears blurred his vision. She saw it, her heart felt a twinge but she braced herself up and closed the door.

She knew he wanted no one. And he cried and cried. She stayed next to him, wiping his tears moment by moment, hearing him curse his fate and everything but she didn't say anything by herself. He didn't need any condolence but a companion to listen to him.

Jay was taken out of the past by the call of the air hostess.

"Tea or coffee, sir?" She asked, the professional smile plastered on her face.

"Coffee." He smiled back at her.

Jay's and Iris' mothers hugged each other, saying goodbyes while Jay and Iris stood looking at them. Iris was holding back tears and so was Jay. He was her dearest friend and so was she to him. This separation was gonna hurt.

"Jay, promise me you won't forget me." She said in her cracking, crying voice.

"I won't." Jay nodded.

"Pinky promise?" She held out her little finger. They did the 'pinky promise lock' and Jay said, "Pinky Promise."

Iris sniffled and walked to the drawer, she took out a box from there and took out a photo, torn in three parts, she showed him.