Part 1

We all know about true love and happy endings. Perhaps some of us have found our happy endings. Maybe we have witnessed them. It's so easy to fall for someone and imagine spending the rest of your life with them. Building and growing with them. Raising a family. Coming home from work everyday to them. Falling asleep and waking up next to them. When you meet them everything makes sense. Like the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle falling into place. Getting that pounding beat in your chest and flutters of butterflies in your stomach.

So many stories show us the idealistic expectations of love and even the realistic expectations of love.

This is no such story though.

Sure it was fun in the beginning. Falling for the person who I felt would be the one I spent the rest of my life with.

I was 18 living with my family of 5 in a mediocre village. Spending every day amongst the same old people and sometimes having the same old conversation. Working the same dead end job at the same dead end cafe. We got the odd travellers who pass through during the holiday seasons.

The cafe didn't pay much but it paid enough to fill my car and save for my own place. With my qualifications in hospitality I hoped to work in a high end restaurant in the nearby city. Nothing too far from home but far enough to not see the same things every day. My parents understood my longing to be independent and respected my decision to leave.

They supported my dream and agreed to take care of my phone bill and to keep me at home as long as I made a monthly 100 pounds towards food.

I was doing the morning shift and I'd just got off my half hour break when I saw the rush of uni students. That's when I saw him.

I couldn't take my eyes off of him. From his dark hair that was freshly cut and his eyes which seemed fixated on his phone with a smirk pulling the corners of his lips.