CHAPTER Four

After the last class of the day, Gulf received an unexpected request to attend a drama club meeting. He was joined by his friend Jamie, a fellow club member, and they headed straight to their clubroom.

The club president, Faith, a third-year senior, explained that the campus open house event was approaching, and their club would be presenting a short play. She unveiled the list of characters and crew needed for the play.

Gulf's world was turned upside down when Faith announced, "As for the lead roles, Viviene will play the female lead, and Gulf, you're our male lead."

Stunned by his sudden casting as a lead, Gulf accepted the script from Dior, the club's vice president. His mind was still racing as he leafed through the pages.

"Wait, do I have to play the guitar too?" Gulf asked, his voice betraying his worry.

"Yes. Nevertheless, don't worry I know someone who might help you. I'll just talk to him first." Faith responded, noting that most club members were female, leaving Gulf as the primary option for the male lead.

"Thanks, senior Faith."

The meeting ended, but Gulf's concerned expression lingered as he walked the crowded hallway with Jamie.

Jamie tried to cheer him up, suggesting he ask other friends for help. It was then that an idea struck Gulf, and he remembered a photo he had seen two days ago.

Without waiting for Jamie's reply, he dashed off, leaving her bewildered.

Gulf raced to the familiar architecture building and stood in front of a door where he had waited a few days ago. After briefly checking through a small glass window, he sat on a nearby bench to catch his breath.

Nearly half an hour later, Mew, the architecture student Gulf had been waiting for, emerged from the classroom. Gulf's face lit up as he saw Mew.

"Hey, you're here," Mew remarked, raising an eyebrow.

The younger one took deep breaths, trying to gather his courage to address his concerns with the senior, all the while ignoring the curious gazes of his blockmates passing by.

Gulf, eager but anxious, asked, "You know how to play the guitar, right?"

Mew looked puzzled. "What?"

"Please, do me this small favor. Please, please." Gulf implored.

"What favor are you talking about?" Mew asked.

"You know, this coming open house event, our club will be having a short play. The main lead is a musician working for the richest family..."

"So?" Gulf paused and raised a confused gaze to look at the person in front of him.

"What does he mean with 'So?' I was talking here non-stop and he just gave me that two-letter word? Is he getting on my nerves?" Gulf mumbled in his mind.

"Eh?" Gulf uttered, totally bewildered.

"What do you want me to do?" The other one asked, showing no traces of emotion in his face.

"Can you be my guitar tutor?" Gulf slightly looked down to avoid seeing Mew's expression. He wasn't ready to hear the other party rejecting his favor.

Mew remained silent as Gulf made his request, unsure of how to react or respond. It had been years since he had stopped loving music, and he wasn't certain if he could help him. However, something seemed to be urging him to help Gulf and become his guitar tutor.

"Help me, please, please."

Mew heaved out a deep sigh and crossed his arms over his chest.

"If you're this determined to get my help, what can I expect in return?" He asked, hiding his smirk inside. The young man also set some conditions to consider in deciding whether to accept or neglect the younger one's favor.

After a pause, Gulf offered, "I'll treat you for two weeks, then."

"Do you think I'm that cheap?" Gulf paused and thought again.

"I'll do anything you want, then." That was his last resort then.

Mew's expression was inscrutable as he considered Gulf's plea. He wasn't planning to exploit Gulf. He was just testing his determination.

Finally, he let out a deep sigh and nodded. Gulf's face broke into a huge smile that strangely made the other one's chest thump.

Later, after Gulf composed his excitement, he proposed that they practice every Saturday, which Mew agreed to. Then, he excused himself and left.

*****************

The next day, Gulf returned to his friends, excitedly announcing, "Jamie, I already asked someone to be my guitar tutor!"

His outburst drew surprised glances from his friends, but Gulf didn't mind. He hurried to Jamie and said, "Jamie, did you hear me?"

"Uh, with that loud voice of yours, perhaps the other students from the next room also heard you. " Jamie uttered sarcastically.

Jamie asked, "So, Who is it?"

Gulf beamed, "It's Mew from Architecture."

Jamie's eyes widened in disbelief. "You're not kidding, right?"

Gulf shook his head. "It's true. Do I look like I'm kidding?" Jamie gasped and put her palm over her mouth.

"Impossible. " Jamie muttered, still in shock.

"Why? Is there something wrong?" Gulf asked, his curiosity getting the better of him.

"Do you know how great his reputation here in the university? " she said.

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, I saw a lot of girls waiting for him in their classroom. " the young man replied.

"I even sometimes think those girls spent most of their time with him rather than focusing on their studies. Good grief his girlfriend hasn't done anything to them yet. " He resumed as he rolled his eyes.

"Hey! No fair! How come the both of you know each other?" The young girl exclaimed.

"What's wrong with that?" Gulf asked, clearly puzzled.

"Don't you know I've been wanting to approach him? But I haven't got any chance. " she lamented.

"So, answer me honestly. How did you two know each other?" Gulf rolled his eyes.

"Will you stop overreacting? I just happened to return the wallet he left at the cafe. "

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She pouted but eventually relented.

"But wait, did he really say he's going help you?" She inquired.

"Yep, why?" Gulf replied innocently.

"That's strange. I thought he's no longer playing them?" She murmured.

"Huh?" Gulf furrowed his brows in confusion.

"We went to the same high school. He was the guitarist of the band in our school. Then suddenly he said he was no longer playing it and left the band. It caused them to disband because they didn't find someone to replace him."

Gulf felt a growing curiosity about this person.

"What happened?" he asked.

Jamie's expression turned gloomy.

"I don't know, but maybe his mother's sudden death has to do with it."

The sadness in her tone evoked a similar feeling in Gulf.

"Am I wrong to ask him the favor?" he wondered.

He was about to ask her more, but their professor arrived, interrupting their conversation. Gulf decided to focus on the discussion to avoid dwelling too much on what he and Jamie had talked about.