01

He ignored my greeting and strode past me. The second Prince had always been cold, but tonight, his jewelled eyes are laced with raging fury.  

I raised my head after his steps had faded. The looming doors to the crown prince's chamber, the doors that are usually stationed by guards at all times, were deserted even after the departure of the second prince. 

I steeled my will and pushed through the doors. The lights illuminated my figure and spilled inside the chamber to carve the silhouette of two entangled bodies.

Then, peridot eyes glinted in mockery. As if enchanted, I didn't look away from the eyes of the snake. No, I simply didn't want to face him.

Without a word, I turned on my heels and retired for the night. He did not follow after me. That's good. 

How I wish I could lock up my chamber. I knew he would be paying a visit at the dead of the night. He always did. 

He had slithered up to my bed. "My princess," he curled a dark strand of hair behind my ear. 

I was adamant to keep my back against him.

He slipped under the covers and held me from behind. "Are you sleeping?" His hand nestled onto my chest, feeling the erratic heartbeat of mine. He chuckled.

Why are you acting as if nothing had happened? 

"I heard.." I quietly started. "The second Prince has annulled his engagement during dinner."

"...That's true." He nuzzled into my nape.

"Then, me too, I want to break off--" His hand that was on my chest flew to grab my face with the palm pressed onto my mouth. 

He growled, "Don't even think about it." 

I could only force out, "Why." Why are you doing this to me?

"You are going to become my only empress." He stated, his voice was chilling despite the romantic words. 

I felt his arms slipping away from my body. He made me lie on my back and he hovered above me. 

Anastacius flashed me a grin, one that unsettled me. Slowly, he lowered his head.

With my palm, I struck his sharp jaw. I turned my head away, muttering, "Who knows what you have done with that mouth of yours." 

Following my sentence was a deafening silence. 

Then, he seized my wrists and pressed them above my head. "I was using that woman."

I smiled, "And? I don't need to know."

"Look at me." He ordered.

I remained still.

He was livid. "I said, LOOK AT ME." 

I jerked at his booming voice, hissing at the amount of pressure when applied to my wrists. 

"Ah--" And I began to scream. The shrill scream sounded like the woman who watched her daughter's head fall towards her. 

Maybe Anastacius, the murderer, heard the woman in my cry, so he pulled back and watched as I thrashed around. 

I met his darkened orbs and glared, "Don't make me hate you any more, Anastacius." My fingers wrinkled up his shirt, trying to get him off my hips. 

He merely blinked then, snorted. Anastacius nonchalantly lifted himself up accompanied with the sound of footsteps moving away from me. 

Suddenly, the room fell silent. I thought he had left.

"I'll get washed up first."

As soon as the light entered the room, it faded. 

Finally, I took in the breath I didn't know I had been holding. I huffed and puffed. Slipping out of the bed with shaky legs, I reached for a shawl and darted out of the room.

Riding through the night, I was at mercy of the crisp, freezing air with only a merchant's cloak over my nightgown. I started regretting my decision as the stolen horse guided me to the bright, bustling town. I was instantly warmed by the smoke of grilled meat and the shoving crowds. So rowdy.. Is there a festival I am not aware of? While pondering, I was pushed and pushed until I lost the horse and suddenly, I was inside a tavern. Unruly civilians, I brushed my coat and looked around. My eyes caught an exquisite sparkle of blond hair. A blonde was twirling and dancing on the table, dressed in preposterous clothing that barely hid her slim figure. The whole audience was cheering so loud, the atmosphere was so, so warm. The beauty displayed such a joyful expression as she fluttered around with her great wings, laughing along with the crowd.

Our eyes met. Very elegantly, she hopped from table to table until she was before me, a slender hand held out. 

Instinctively, I stepped back. I furrowed my eyes and firmly shook my head. 

Some people made disappointing noises while others encouraged me. 

No, you people do not understand. 

In a flash, the beauty pulled me up to the table. How scandalous! No, I calmed myself down. No one knows what the Grand Duke's looks like. I..

She spun me in her arms and started giggling, "Dance!"

The crowd erupted with deafening cheers once again. 

I tried to imitate her movements, nothing of the dance I was taught of. My back didn't have to be as straight as the rule, the steps I took are of my free will! 

The anklets on her chimed sweetly at her every sway. "Oh, you can dance so well!"

My face warmed up, and I mustered up a collected smile, "You are not so bad yourself."

It was fun.