Chapter 10: Dry Land

Ambrose's POV

TW/CW: none 

Ambrose strolled along the bay with something akin to a bounce in his step. Perhaps it was just the feeling of solid ground under his boots, but his morning off the ship had been lovely so far. The beaches were beautiful, the seaside town palm-shaded and quaint, and Tempest made for a surprisingly easy companion. She was straightforward, no-nonsense, confident even as she moved about a strange coastline. He found himself quite happy to help her secure a map from the town's gnome navigator, particularly when the gnome turned out to be far more fluent in Elwig than in the common tongue.

"Thank you," Ambrose said in Elwig as he held up the purchased map. Well, he had either said thank you or thank shoe, but the gnome smiled and waved just the same. He turned and handed the rolled map to Tempest. "All set. I'm afraid it took most of my surviving talons, but if you'd allow me to purchase some ingredients in town, I could-"

"Could continue to torment Elizabeth and her galley with your potions?" Tempest raised an eyebrow, then betrayed a ghost of a smile. "I heard. I'm not sure I fully understand your alchemy, but if you're as good as you say you are, I'll accept your work." She tucked the map under her arm. "But only if you arrange it with my cook first."

"Absolutely. Yes, ma'm. Captain, ma'am." Ambrose nodded. "Now, If I may ask what sort of injuries are most common aboard the ship, I could better align the potions with what Aria could use..."

By the time they reached the open-air market, Ambrose thoroughly regretted asking her that question. He drew himself up, trying to erase the terrifying kraken story out of his mind.

"Very helpful." He gave a stiff nod, hoping the gesture masked his horror. "Thank you, Captain. I, ah, have a better idea of what would benefit your crew."

Not sailing in a kraken-filled ocean would do the trick, he thought- but given that that wasn't an option, he straightened his shoulders and settled on buying as many healing ingredients as he could.

Now here, he was in his element. Haggling with shopkeepers over dried rosemary, checking the quality of crushed sun-crystal as he held it up to the light. The clinking of vials, the labels, the smell of lavender and esther and wormroot- it was all achingly familiar. He didn't even mind that Tempest's eyes followed him as he analyzed, bargained, and bought. For once in the past several days, he knew precisely what he was doing.

"All right, Captain." He returned to her with a full canvas sack in hand. "I apologize for the delay, but I assure you, it's better for your crew if I take the time to find the proper ingredients."

"I appreciate the effort." Tempest turned briskly on her heel and led him back towards the bay. "Even if you hold no love for my ship."

She tossed back another slight smile over her shoulder. Ambrose rubbed the back of his head.

"Apologies, Captain. I..." He looked out to the sparkling blue waters of the bay. "The first time I saw an ocean was a week ago. I'd simply prefer to respect it from a distance."

"Then once you put away your ingredients, Master Beake," Tempest stopped at the moored boat, "we'll sort out how to get you home as quickly as possible."

#

Ambrose sifted almost giddily through the ingredients as the boat aligned itself with the Hurricane. He was looking forward to showing Eli what he had managed to buy on so few coins. Eli would appreciate it, surely. Perhaps he would even be a little proud of him.

"Eli?" He dove below decks and poked his head into the storeroom. Empty. He set down his bag, checked the other hammocks, then returned up to the light. "Eli?"