Intro

The cool wind was howling. The breeze drifted over the mountains. The stars aligned perfectly with one another. Everything about the night was perfect.

Moonlark, the small Nightwing, especially enjoyed it. He sat on the green moonlit grass. The river nearby glistened, sounding like a soft melody. He closed his eyes and imagined himself on a boat, drifting along the pale blue water, not a care in the world.

Periwinkle walked over to him, a small smile on her face. There was a tiny scratch on her snout, not deep enough to leave a scar, but still a wound. "Are you alright?" Moonlark shifted on his scales and stood on his feet. Periwinkle flicked her long, dark grey tail. "Yes, just an accident on the way to come and find you." Of course, thought Moonlark.

He couldn't read Periwinkle's thoughts like he could the other dragons. Periwinkle was a Nightwing as well, but she could slightly erase her thoughts. It was an odd but useful ability she'd had since she had hatched.

Periwinkle trotted ahead and sat in front of Moonlark. She always loved to look at the stars. "You need to head over to His Majesty's cavern. He sent me for you specifically," she said, as her talons dug into the cold ground. Moonlark turned to look at her. "Why me?" he asked. "Not sure," she answered. "Nothing too important, I don't think." Moonlark's mind began to wander. If this is because of the broken spear, I promise it wasn't me, he thought. He'd hoped Periwinkle could hear him.

He knows it wasn't you, goof. I think he just needs to discuss something with you about the new addition to the royal family. Periwinkle replied through the muffled words of her mind. Her calming voice hit Moonlark with relief. He always hated talking with another Nightwing through his thoughts, though. If anyone had been watching, they'd just see two dragons sitting together in silence.

Moonlark looked at Periwinkle. "Why did Hornet have to become King, anyway?" the second the words left his mouth, he knew he should've kept quiet. Periwinkle lunged forward onto him. She slammed her foot onto his snout to cover his mouth. "WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO SAY THAT OF ALL THINGS OUT LOUD?" she shrieked. "Why are you screaming!?" he rolled along the side of the grass. He escaped the grasp of Periwinkle and pulled away.

She rolled her eyes and sighed. "Touche," she puffed. "Now, come on. His Majesty is waiting." Moonlark smirked. "So you never answered my question," he nudged her side with his wing.

Periwinkle tilted her head in bewilderment. "Huh?"

". . . you know, why Hornet became King?"

"Oh, yeah. It was because Honeycomb rescued that dragonet egg years ago. She thought it had some sort of purpose, remember? And then every dragon thought of Hivewings as heroes. And it just so happens that she and Hornet were together at the time, so she became Queen, and he became King. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"I guess so," Moonlark replied. It was really too bad that Hornet had picked him of all dragons to discuss royalty with. He was one of the smallest Nightwings, and yet Hornet had seen potential in him. Moonlark hadn't even gotten his powers yet, besides mind reading. He wasn't a dragonet, but he still hadn't developed them. He always told himself they'd come soon, but that never worked.

Periwinkle spread her wings. The pale black color of her face shimmered in the moonlight.

"I need to head back to my cave now. Make sure you pay Hornet a visit, or I can tell you right now, he won't be very pleased." She took off like a jet into the sky. She laughed as she spun around in the air. Moonlark smiled watching her beautiful scales glow in the dark. She'd gotten her powers.