Goodbye

As dusk grew closer, the soft noises of owls and wind echoed through the sky. Moonlark sighed, as he thought about his family and friends, and how he'd have to leave them soon. As his worries began to build up in his head, he heard the soft steps of a dragon behind him. "I hope I'm not interrupting," the voice said, a soft and comforting tone. "You seem lost in thought."

He turned around to see Periwinkle standing behind him. "Oh, Peri," he gasped, and hugged her. "I've missed you these past few days- so much has happened- I wish I could tell you, but I don't have time-"

Periwinkle gave him a slight smile. "It's okay," she said. "I already know. I came to say goodbye." Moonlark paused, and he sat in silence. "But I don't want to go," he said to her. "I don't want to leave you." Periwinkle wrapped her arms around him. "It'll be okay," she assured him, her eyes glistening from her tears. "I promise I'll see you. I'll miss you, but it'll be okay." she quietly said to him, as her voice shifted into a quiet sob.

Moonlark was on the verge of tears, but didn't cry. He had a deep feeling in him that maybe, for once, things would somehow start to become better for him. He consoled her in his hug, and she started to feel better.

"Well," she sighed. "I guess you better go." Moonlark looked at her with a warm smile. "Hey, I promise I'll be back soon," he said. Periwinkle grew silent, as she came closer to Moonlark. She suddenly paused, then stood up. "I apologize– I'll see you soon." she said to him, then bolted into the dark.

Moonlark's ear twitched, as he watched her disappear into the forest nearby. What did she mean, "apologize"? He thought to himself. The wind hit him quickly, and just barely kept him standing upright. He carefully hoisted his belongings onto his back in a light brown satchel, and began to fly to the gathering place.

As he arrived, he saw the same dragons and dragonets from before. Some had lots of luggage, some had none at all. This isn't going to be good. He thought.

Just as quickly as he'd gotten there, Hornet had arrived himself, standing in front of the crowd. "Greetings," Hornet replied with a touch of sarcasm in his tone. "I hope you're all having a wonderful evening."

He slammed his tail down on the ground, creating a loud rumble in the dirt. There was then the sound of guards marching toward them. "Now, these lovely guards will escort you to your containment areas, which will then be transported to the other kingdom. Understood?" Every dragon hesitantly nodded. There's another kingdom? Thought Moonlark, as he followed the crowd into their assigned containment chamber.

Hornet shoved Moonlark against the wall while the other dragons were occupied. "Don't you even think about trying to escape. The glass is enchanted, meaning it's fireproof-" Hornet paused. "As well as it weakens your body. So even if you did escape midair, your wings wouldn't have enough time to regain strength, thus causing you to fall to your death."

Moonlark recoiled, then slowly continued over to his chamber. He entered, and the door slammed behind him.

Just moments later, he could feel his chamber being carried by the talons of dragons in the air. The second he was up in the sky, the weakening began to work. He felt all of the energy leave his body, as he stumbled back and forth, hitting the walls, then the ground.

As the energy continued leaving his body, he felt a sharp pain in his side. He clenched his stomach, and let out a cry of agony. The pain grew stronger, and he looked down, only to see red-colored blood that used to be inside of him. What's happening? He tried to stand up, but the pain was worse than it ever had been, now. He fell to the ground in pain, and could feel the water dripping from his eyes like a waterfall. He let out a yelp. And just as quickly as it had started, it was over. The pain melted away, and the world began to fade away. Is this it? Everything I've achieved, everything I've ever held pride in, all for this? As he gently closed his eyes, he watched the world slip away into an unbearable darkness.