Prolouge

The tension was heavy at the table. I expected this but my entire family was not greeting Jace in a friendly matter. I wanted to speak, but I didn't know what to say.

"So, Jace. Where's your parents?" My mother questioned. I sent her a glare because she knew this was a touchy subject for Jace. I bit on my tongue and gulped as I looked over at Jace.

"Well, um. Not to be rude, Mrs. Phillps, but I don't like talking about my parents." Jace said surprisingly calmly. I was expecting for him to have some sort of attitude, but he didn't.

"Son, if you're going to date our daughter we must know." My dad said sternly. I sighed heavily because my parents were acting fucking ridiculous. I told them to not mention his parents, but of course they still do so. Someone kill me.

"Mr. Phillps, like I said I don't lik-." Jace tried to finish his sentence but was cut off by my father. "I heard what you said, but I want to know." What a jackass my dad is being. Once again it was silent. Jace raised from his seat rather angrily and stormed out of the house.

"He's not right for you, Scar." My dad said. I was done being quiet. I felt angry, I felt like unleashing my rage, I felt like doing the unthinkable.

"You know what, dad. Fuck you. You too mom. You guys had no fucking business to butt in his life. You guys are un-fucking-believable." Wow, that felt good, but I knew the worse was coming.

"What did you say, young lady?" My dad says as he slowly rises from his seat. I just glared at my dad. He deserved it for crying out loud!

"You heard me. I'm done biting my tongue. Screw you guys. I'm leaving." With that, I grabbed my purse and headed out the door, then my dad stopped me. "You're not going nowhere but to your room. You better check your attitude and head up there. Your behavior is getting erotic. First you come home smelling like alcohol and drugs, then you start failing your classes, and now this? You're not hanging around that kid no more, you hear me?" My dad says as he starts to slightly raise his voice.

"I don't hear you dad, I hear a bunch of bullshit. Get out of my way!" I boomed as I tried to push him out of my way.

"Scarlett, stop this!" My mother cried as she tried to pull me back, but instead I did the unexpected and slapped my dad across the face. My hand stung after the hard slap to the face. I wanted to apologize, but instead I ran out the house and dialed Jace's number. He then picked up and grumbled a hello.

"Jace, come pick me up. Now." What has come over me? I felt like I was changing for the worse. I feel empty. I feel lost. I feel bad. Am I making the right choice?