01 - see the sunlight

IT'S SIX O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING,
yet there was no sun rising. In fact, it was almost pitch black outside, the only thing giving off any light being the crescent moon protected by clouds.

It was quiet in the Cervantes household, like it is every morning- until the girls wake up, of course. Tiana was the first to wake up out of all of the five sisters, choosing to leave her bed around five fifty. As soon as her feet touched the carpet, she managed to silently tiptoe to the bathroom, careful not to wake anyone else up. She, despite what people would believe, liked as much time to herself as possible.

Upon reaching the bathroom, Tiana grabbed her toiletries and monogrammed towels (which she insisted for her and her sisters) and closed the door, sighing in satisfaction and turning on the shower. Stripping out of her old cheerleading t-shirt, gray shorts, and undergarments, Tiana happily stepped into the shower, letting the warm water settle onto her skin.

There were only five or so minutes she got to herself before one of her younger sisters started knocking on the door loudly.

"Your ten minutes are almost up, Ti!"

"Leave me alone until they are."

Tiana didn't feel content until she heard the door close completely, and as soon as she did, she continued with her shower.

A few minutes later, the tan skinned girl stepped out, collected her things and opened the door, only to see her younger sister who was previously bothering her before.

"Hey Raven," Tiana finally mumbled, "can you do me a favor?"

"Maybe." Raven, Tiana's thirteen year old sister replied.

"Just tell Dad that I'll be coming home late. I'm going to a coming home party."

The younger sister's face scrunched up in confusion as she set her hand on the bathroom's doorknob. "Coming home? What, are they coming back from prison? And why can't you do it?"

Tiana almost wants to snicker, but all that comes out is a short breath. "You're his favorite."

"... Sure, I'll tell him."  Raven responds before closing the door. Tiana turns on her heels and heads back to her room, one of her hands holding up the black towel wrapped around her body.

Kicking the door shut behind her, Tiana opened her closet and reached for the outfit she'd put together last night, which consisted of a burgundy red long sleeved shirt, cut into the shape of a v-neck, and a pair of black ripped jeans.

It was September, which meant the weather was getting cooler- something Tiana preferred. The sight of brown and orange leaves and the alluring smell of pumpkin spice and cinnamon was always pleasing to her.

After dressing herself, the tan skinned girl threw on some lipgloss and mascara, careful with how she applied said items so there were no mistakes. She quickly tied her bright red dreads into a high ponytail. There was no need for her to look in a mirror (it's not like she'd be able to anyway).

Finally, Tiana threw on a pair of black Ugg boots, grabbed her bookbag and phone, and left her room to head downstairs.

Before leaving through the front door, Tiana stopped by her father's office, where the elder man sat at his desk, barely even noticing his daughter was there.

"Hey Daddy, I'm leaving for school."

The man doesn't even look up from his laptop.