Assassin 2.1

Faetom arrived at the village, sweat clinging onto his back as he steps towards the inn. He threw some emeralds onto the counter without delaying much and grabbed the keys that were also similarly tossed onto the counter in return. It seemed the inn owner also had quite the sassy attitude. Glancing at the room number, he made his way to the musky old room.

The door opened, revealing a plain dusty floor and a similarly dusty bed.

'Not worth a single emerald' Faetom thought, grumbling as he slumped down onto the bed.

Resting his head against the headboard, he pulled open his notebook and "Legends of the Gods", a book that he had bought back in the capital city.

Why was he selected for this mission?

It could have been any other knight, one of cunning intellect or one of overpowering strength, but the king ended up nominating him. The book involved with all this mystery is not one of simple origins at all, it was a book that was never meant to exist.

The book of devils,

The Book of Revivals.

Faetom agreed with many, he shared the sentiment that some things were never meant to be discovered and exploited. There was just so much blood and mess involved with that book, so much history that many would be happy to never uproot. Things were fine the way they were, like dominoes, things were balanced. Stable. One slight movement, like a gust of wind, could knock everything into disarray.

Philza.

The God of the Skies.

The only one to ever possess the power of flight, granted to him by the creator of the server. Though he was a  loyal friend of the Blade, Leader of the Syndicate, he was not present at the final battle. His location was lost to history, but one thing was certain about him.

He was one of those suspected to possess the book.

Of all the ancient gods, Philza was known for his age and wisdom, essential traits that made his survival practically guaranteed.

...

Last seen: One fact has only ever before been revealed. Never did Theseus step foot here.

It was a damn riddle.

Annoyed, Faetom sat up and glanced at the foggy window. It was almost evening, at most he would have a couple hours left of daylight. This town had only been a shortstop before he made his way to Silaus' place. So tonight would be the last night that he would have to do a deep dive into some more research. The master knight pursed his lips, lowering his eyes as he tightened his hand, the very one that held Reeves' arm just a couple hours ago. He had no idea why he was still thinking that young junior, or rather, spy. It was just, he felt interested in something for the first time.

Faetom shook his head, trying to wash away those unnecessary thoughts.

He stood up, and quickly made his way to the library, the only place that he could really start.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

There were no resources, none that could crack this stupid riddle. Sapphire blue eyes glanced at the name on the riddle.

Theseus

Some part of him resonated with that name. A greek hero, but also, the famed nickname of a hero that once fought on these very lands that he stood on. Tommy. There seemed to be more meaning behind the name, something that he couldn't yet grasp within his hands. The frustration angered him, just about as much as the damned riddle. Some part of his soul called to him, telling him that there was a connection with this nostalgia and the answer behind the riddle.

Think, Faetom.

Think.

Faetom grinded his teeth together, the ache in his head persisting as he tried to think of whatever he could. He scribbled down whatever he could, all the vague traces of thoughts that he had.

Theseus. Tommy. No. Set Foot. Forest? Cliff?  No. Mountain. Clouds. Wings, Skies. A Greek hero.

Greek...

A jolt of energy went through Faetom as he felt a sudden sense of enlightenment. He scrambled to reach for the Greek dictionary.

A place where no one has set foot.

The sky.

Theseus, Greek.

Mount Ouranós. Mountain of the Sky. The very one with so many routes that rumour claims the path to the top is no different than a labyrinth. Like the one that Theseus had battled the minotaur in. 

It was that simple.

Faetom laughed, finding it comedic that it took him ages to figure out something so simple. He scribbled the name of the mountain underneath the clue and tucked everything into his inventory.

Smiling, he opened the oak door and took a step out, letting the nightly gust of air greet his flushed cheeks. He closed his eyes, savouring the moonlight and the calmness of it all, it was as if... whooshhh an arrow flew past, nearly meeting its target if Faetom had not stepped to the side.

He looked up, staring at the direction where the arrow flew from. Then he saw them.

A group of people, all in black netherite armour, surrounded by particles of speed potions.

He was screwed.