ONE :: MET YOU

SHORT STORY

your throat becomes dry and stings painfully as your legs begin to drown in fatigue.

your shoes had never felt this tight around your feet before. the ground had never felt this rocky before. your throat had never felt this dry before. the adrenaline pumped dangerously fast through your body.

the blood-thirsty zombies trailed morbidly close behind you. their snarls and inhumanely growls, keeping you running.

your teary-eyed vision managed to pick up a blurry vehicle stranded in the middle of the dusty road. this was your chance to put some distance between you and the Zs while you caught your precious breath.

as you ran around the bumper of the medium-sized car, you reached for the dagger in your thigh strap while you panted vigorously in the hot and humid air.

the zombies charged mindlessly into the side of the car.

you gripped your dagger as your hands became shaky and eventually sweaty. walking backwards about 5 steps, you wished for nothing but the best for you in this horrible zombie encounter.

all you had on you was a 7-inch dagger, a revolver you stole from a dead cop with no clips/ammo and 3 bottles of oxycontin just in case you wanted to give up altogether.

the overwhelming dread of this apocalypse, being all alone, only seeing dead people suffer in lifeless bodies. it's a tough aspect to live through daily, for anybody. no matter how strong they are mentally or physically.

you admit you should've taken the oxy right when you saw the horde. your heart ached.

well, better late than never.

ripping your backpack off your back, you take out a whole bottle of oxycontin and pour it onto your tongue all in one go. you stand in silence not even processing what you had just done.

the pills lay crushed in your dry teeth.

snap out of it y/n.

you look up through the beads of sweat dripping from your eyebrows realising the zombies should've gotten to you by now.

the zombies lay dead on the floor, some lying lifeless on the roof of the car.

your face scrunches up in confusion and fear as you instantly spit out the bitter pills that were beginning to liquidise in your mouth. briskly speed walking towards one of the zombies, you notice a clean circle pierced straight through the centre of its discoloured temple.

sniper.

you drop to the floor as your heart pounded and crawl underneath the car, not knowing the sniper's intention for you. scanning the floor from floors view, you realise you left your backpack full of oxy and your empty gun on the crisp, desert grass.

shit.

you wait in silence waiting for something to happen, your body shaking despite your increasing temperature.

within seconds footsteps crunch on the dry, chunky dirt as you see three people's feet jog towards your open backpack that lay wide open.