Number five

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before it turned dark night, we managed to find a spot to settle in for the night. Diego seems to be asleep, I don't know where Sid is, Manny is putting the baby to sleep and I'm sitting on rock, knife in one hand and piece of wood in other, carving into it. 

"Bedtime, squirt." Manny used his trunk as bed for the baby, also to keep him close if anyone tries anything, in our case Diego. Manny looked at Diego to see if he's really asleep, and it seems so. 

"Oh, the triumphant return." We see Sid drag himself over to us after some time being gone, I don't know and care from where actually.

"Oh, that. I'm so full. How about a good-night kiss for your big buddy Sid?" Sid leaned against the rock I sat on. My hand quickly covered his mouth so he wouldn't wake the baby. 

"Shh. He's asleep." Manny hissed, with his eyes gesturing to the already asleep baby as Sid shrugged my hand off.

"I was talking to you." Manny gave him weirded out look. "Fine, I'll tuck myself in." I jumped down so Sid can have the rock as uncomfortable bed for himself. He kept moving and making noise, annoying Manny to the point he pushed him.

"Will you stop it?!" 

"All right, all right. I was trying to relax." Finally Sid curled on the rock and settled in one position that he stayed in, no longer interrupiting anyone. Sighing, I also laid down with my back resting against the rock, getting back to my chopping work.

"Are you even gonna sleep?" Manny asked, noticing I'm not really in state to close my eyes and drift off, and I shook my head without sparring him a glance. 

"Yeah, yeah. Not yet, though. I'm nowhere near tired for now." I scan the wood in my hand and sure enough it's beginning to take form.

"Alright, then. Goodnight." 

"Goodnight." After a second I hear quiet snoring, guessing Manny fallen asleep too, which left only me awake. It didn't take me long to finish my little useless piece of work, smiling proudly at it. The smile slowly saddened the longer I stared at it, the faint hint of hope shrinking into nothingness like each time it failed. 

"I'm pathetic. Why do I still hope to gain some memory from you, huh?" If someone looked at me right now, they'd think I'm out of mind, talking to carved wooden figurine. 

Ever since I woke up in snow with only that one memory left, I tend to carve things I saw in it and hope it might remind me of something more, at least one memory. Nothing ever works. I don't know why I continue filling myself with false hopes. 

"Tell me where I'm coming from. Where I lived. Who I really am. Who are you. Who I lost. Please, I wanna know." Nothing. Of course. What was supposed to happen like? I'm stupid

"This is pointless. If you're not gonna help me, I don't know what then. After returning the baby, we're most likely gonna split, each go their own path." The year I spent all alone, having no one to talk to and other stuff, I began to talk to myself or the carving from time to time when I felt like it. Yeah, now I got three mammals with me, but what's the point of telling them something when it won't solve anything? 

"What did I do to deserve this?" Sighing, I placed the wooden carving of the white baryonyx next to me and curled myself into ball, slowly drifting into world of imagination.

~❄️~

Loud, heavy footsteps echoing the ground snapped me awake from my sleep, the cause being furious Manny stomping towards Diego, who also got startled awake.

"Where's the baby?" Manny went straight to the point, no good morning or hi.

"You lost it?" Diego is as much confused as the two of us, me joining them. Then it clicked in our heads.