Prologue

The darkness would never be any less ominous for the young woman in a red cloak. The slightest sound still made her jump as she made her way through the forest surrounded by dark glistening snow. Her feet felt chilled to the bone, so she held the two small bundles she carried tighter against her chest and broke into a run as she heard the hollering of angry men. The babies started to cry as she picked up speed trying to escape the hunters. She tripped and both babies fell out of her safe arms into the snow just as an arrow whirled through the air right where her head would have been. She bent down hurriedly scooping her small daughters up into her arms and humming softly to try and get the babies to quiet down.

"Don't fret my beautiful baby girls. One day you'll both learn who you truly are if only I could see you both when that time comes," she whispered softly. The men came shortly after she'd whispered those last words to her daughters

"On your feet Ash," one of the men commanded. Slowly the woman in the red cape rose and turned around, her daughters secured in her arms. Instantly a man near the middle of the group of about ten men broke through the crowd to stand before her.

"Chris please don't do this, they deserve more than that academy! They're baby girls! We were supposed to raise them together," the young woman pleads with the man. He merely shows a look of pity and refuses to show any other emotions as he tears the babies out of her arms. The woman sobs reaching out for them as the man disappears into the crowd but she's held back by spears.

"Your orders, Prince Christopher?" comes a voice. The young woman, Ash was trembling beyond and if it were any other day she would have torn every single man there to shreds but today was the one day she couldn't do that, the one day where she became the same as everyone but even it was merely a few hours Christopher took advantage of it.

"Remove her cloak and then kill her once I'm out of sight," Christopher commands, Ash began to call out to him as he swung himself over his black as night horse still holding onto the babies with the sheer skill he'd picked up over the years of horseback riding. One of the men handed him the red cloak so he wrapped it around his daughters to keep out the cold.

"Chris! Chris, come back! Chris!" Ash's shrill voice desperately shouted for the man to turn around but as he grew further and further away her voice grew more and more distant until he could no longer hear her and knew for certain she was dead by the shouts of joy. He looked down at the twin girls he held in his arms and smiled sadly.

"You girls will grow up to do extraordinary things and we won't ever forget your mother but we mustn't show it," he whispered softly. Christopher never cried but he felt a harsh pang in his chest at the thought that Ash was gone but there was no other way. That is how it was written. Prince Christoper never truly loved his wife and so he took their infant daughters and left her to die for the traitor she was. The End. Or at least that was how it was written...