Back from the Chamber

Harry, Ron, and I were in Dumbledore's office, covered with dirt and muck. Fawkes perched on a pedestal behind Dumbledore, who sat at his desk, examining the charred diary. He looked up, regarding us gravely.

"Ingenious. Simply... ingenious. Of course, Tom Riddle was probably the most brilliant student Hogwarts has ever seen. I taught him myself fifty years ago. After he left, I would occasionally hear stories of his activities--dark rumours--but after a while, even the rumours stopped. When he finally resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, most people had completely forgotten the clever Head Boy he'd once been." the Headmaster said.

"I didn't know whose diary it was, sir. I swear. I found it inside my cauldron." Ginny said. She turned to us. "The day we all went to Diagon Alley."

I nodded.

"But I understand if...given all the trouble we've caused...if you--" Ginny said.

"Wiser wizards than you have been hoodwinked by Lord Voldemort, Miss Weasley, Anna. No, I think you've endured enough. I would suggest a bit of bed rest, however. And perhaps a large mug of hot chocolate. I always find that cheers me up. Minerva, will you show Arthur and Molly up to the hospital wing? As for you, Anna. I'd like to speak with you." Dumbledore said.

"Certainly, Albus." McGonagall led Ginny out.

When they left, we faced Dumbledore who stared back gravely. "You three realize, of course, that in the last few hours, you have broken perhaps a dozen school rules?"

"Yes, sir." the three of us said.

"And that there is sufficient evidence to expel you three?"

"Yes, sir," we said again.

"Therefore, it seems only fitting...That you all receive Special Awards for Services to the School. And--let me see--yes, I think two hundred points each." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled.

"Thank you, sir," we said, grinning.

"Now, Mr Weasley, if you would, have an owl deliver these release papers to Azkaban. I believe we need our gamekeeper back."

Ron took the envelope, nodded, and left.

"First, Harry, Annabelle, I want to thank you. You must have shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber, especially you, Harry. Nothing but that could have called Fawkes to you. Secondly, I sense you two are troubled by something. Maybe for different reasons. Am I right?" Dumbledore said.

"It's just, you see, sir, I couldn't help noticing certain things. Certain similarities. Between Tom Riddle, Anna, and me." Harry began.

"You can speak Parseltongue, Harry and Annabelle because Lord Voldemort can speak Parseltongue. Unless I'm very much mistaken, he transformed some of his own powers to you the night he gave you those scars." Dumbledore pointed to my neck and Harry's forehead.

"Voldemort put a bit of himself in us?" I asked.

"Not intentionally, but...yes." Dumbledore nodded.

"So the Sorting Hat was right. I should be a Slytherin, just like Anna." Harry said.

"It's true, Harry. You do possess many of the qualities Voldemort himself prizes. Resourcefulness. Determination. A certain disregard for the rules. Yet the Sorting Hat placed you in Gryffindor. Annabelle is also like you. However, she is already a loyal Slytherin student." he explained.

"I'm only in Gryffindor because I asked it to," Harry said.

"Exactly. Which makes you very different from Voldemort. It's not our abilities that show what we truly are, Harry. It's our choices. If you want proof that you belong in Gryffindor, Harry, I suggest you look more closely at this. " Dumbledore smiled as he handed the sword over to him.