Reiji vs King

(Author's note: While it wasn't relevant to show in the main story of Ryuga x King, I personally wanted to know how this battle went so here it is. This takes place during the first Ryuga x King bonus chapter so read that story first if you haven't. This one-shot does spoil that story's resolution.)

Reiji's POV

Reiji was sitting on the ground against the couch, his gaze fixed on the drawing he was currently working on. He was so focused he didn't hear the footsteps of his roommate.

"Hey, Rei-Rei." Reiji froze. He looked up to see Yu leaning over the handrail of the stairs.

"Rei-Rei?" Reiji pushed his hair out of the way as he raised an eyebrow.

Yu's eyes narrowed. "What, you don't like it?" he grunted, folding his arms as he walked into the room. "Jeez, it took me a while to come up with that nickname, the least you can do is be grateful."

"You're nicknaming me?" Reiji tilted his head to the side.

*Doesn't he hate me?* Yu had been less aggressive toward him lately but still Yu only gave nicknames like that to his close friends. Reiji didn't think they were at that point. Or ever would be really considering... his eyes widened at the memory, his hair falling back in his face to shield him.

"Might as well," Yu replied with a shrug. He sat above him on the couch, gazing at Reiji's drawing. "Drawing snakes again, huh?"

Reiji pulled the notebook into his chest. "It'sss fun..."

Yu rolled his eyes. "You really gotta learn to draw something else." Reiji continued drawing. "Anyways, I was gonna watch Zexal down here... if that's okay... I know you hate screens..."

"It'sss fine," Reiji muttered, not taking his eyes off his drawing. Reiji was starting to not mind screens. He still wouldn't go out of his way to use one but he was used to Yu and Tsubasa using them.

"Okie, dokie, loki," Yu yipped as he went to turn on the TV.

Reiji paid no attention to what Yu was watching. He'd seen him watching this same weird show about kids playing cards to save the world so many times, sometimes with Kenta and Ryuga. Reiji couldn't fathom how such a show could win over Ryuga of all people. Perhaps it just reminded him of Beyblade. From what Reiji had seen of the show, he could definitely see the comparison: a seemingly innocent game with secret destructive powers that people could use to destroy the world. *Why would he want to remind himself of all that stuff?*

The front door was suddenly pushed open. Reiji looked over his shoulder, pushing his hair out of his face to see Tsubasa.

"Basa?" Yu paused his show, gazing at his older brother in bewilderment. "You're home early."

Tsubasa nodded. "I have good news." He suddenly turned to Reiji. "Reiji, the WBBA is giving you back your bey."

Reiji flinched. "M-my Ssserpent?!"

Tsubasa nodded. Reiji froze, memories of his bey rushing back to him. Both positive and negative feelings flooded him at once. He bit his lip. Serpent had been Reiji's only companion during the years he'd lived alone after Battle Bladers. However, it was also a painful reminder of that horrible tournament. All those stressful battles he'd been forced into, especially that battle with Gingka, where he'd been thoroughly humiliated and crushed. Everything he'd known to be true had crumbled before him... the memory made him shudder.

"This is happening today?" Yu asked, snapping Reiji out of his thoughts.

Tsubasa nodded. "Right now in fact." He turned to Reiji. "They want to watch you battle."