Twist and Fall

"But I thought it was you..." She whispered. His face fell, obviously not expecting her response to be this.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realise- oh god what have I done?" He cried, a pained expression overcoming his face as her emotions finally brought him back into reality.

She stepped over to him, and as he watched, he saw her footsteps lose the life he so often saw in her, the love and hope she always had disappear as her heart broke into thousands of tiny pieces.

But still she struggled on.

She caressed his face gently, turning it towards her and wiping away the sole year that betrayed his hidden emotional turmoil.

"It just wasn't meant to be. It doesn't mean I don't wish it was, but who am I to argue with fate? This has happened one too many times for me to be affected so deeply by this, but I am."

He opened his mouth to talk, desperate to save what little they had left, what little she had left, but she quieted him, holding a finger to his lips.

"I love you , and always will. But you need to forget me, and move on with your life. It's what's best for you." She whispered, trying to control her shaky voice.

"Why can't we start it over again?" He asked, leaning his forehead on hers.

They shared a short but fulfilling kiss, a life they never had flashing in between.

"Maybe we will, but you deserve better." She whispered, kissing him softly before pulling away.

She turned away quickly, not wanting him to see how weak she as. Her heart could only take so much pain, and she has given hers to him fully.

She had really thought it was him.

She could hear him trying to catch up with her, but she was too weak to do anything except collapse.

Her heartbeat slowed, her skin glowing a pale white.

He hurried over to her, cradling her head gently in his lap as he checked her over worriedly.

"No. You can't leave me! Please don't leave me! I love you." He sobbed beside her, realising his great mistake.

But it was too late.

"And I you." She whispered, squeezing his hand gently before taking her final breaths.

****