What we've left behind

The silence of the apartment disappeared when she entered. Her blue long dress and her brown hair, perfectly combed in a messy bun, contrasted with the white door. The door slammed just in front of Kyle, who opened it again and went inside the flat.

-Coraline …

-No Kyle, not now

Coraline started walking towards the room but Kyle took her by the wrist.

-Kyle please, just leave me alone …

But Kyle, following his instincts, cupped her cheek and run the other hand through Coraline’s arm.

-Kyle please …

-No Cora, I’m not going to leave you alone until you explain me what the hell happened in the restaurant.

-It was nothing…

-NOTHING?! Cora, you looked like zombie when Dakota and Jason told us she was pregnant. Was really that difficult to fake happiness for them?

-I did fake happiness …

-Like hell you did! - The anger and sarcasm of Kyle’s voice made Coraline jump of surprise.

-And what do you want Kyle? Me crying of happiness and hugging them? You know I can’t, not after what we’ve been through…

Kyle’s hand leaves Coraline wrist like it has a spider on it and takes a deep breath. Suddenly he starts walking around the room cursing. Coraline, unconsciously, goes towards the door but when her back crash with the room’s door Kyle looks at her with anger.

-You just have to talk about it again right?

-No, but …

-Fuck Coraline, I don’t know what is happening, but every conversation leads to the same stupid subject!

-Stupid subject? Are you actually saying that an abortion is a stupid subject?

-No Coraline, is not a stupid subject, even so we don’t have to talk about it every single day …

-For God’s sake Kyle, we sacrificed a life, the life of our kid!

Kyle looks at her with pity

-Coraline we’ve talked about it, it was for our own good …

-For our own good? This has NOTHING to do with our own good; that was about you being the egocentric and immature man you really are!

-Oh, don’t be such a victim, I dint forced you to abort, you where the one who decided it!

Coraline opens her mouth but the words don’t come out. Suddenly tears start building up in her eyes.

-What? - Kyle’s voice holds no expression.

-You’re a liar; you are a bloody liar!

Coraline’s fist goes directly to Kyle’s face but his arm is faster and takes her fist.

-You can think whatever you want sweetheart, but you are the murderer here; you were the one that went to the doctor and the one that kill our kid. You pulled the trigger Coraline.

-I pulled the trigger? - Her voice starts trembling.

-Don’t make me say it again Cora …

-Maybe I pulled the trigger but you put the gun against my head you moron!

-I beg your pardon?

-The reason why we don’t have a kid right now is because of you and your shitty attitude.

-You know this is not …

-You told me you wouldn’t be able to take care of a kid Kyle!

-Yes, but that didn’t mean that …

-You didn’t mean that I had to abort?

-…

-Kyle, you saw me crying so many times and you did nothing. Even the day I told you I had the appointment you did nothing, you just stared at me with a blank expression. You arte as guilty as me!

-You left me …

-You told me that you would leave me if I kept the baby for crying out loud!

An uncomfortable silence is established between them. Coraline starts crying and Kyle instantly approaches to her.

-Cora sweetheart …

-No Kyle, no

-Cora, you know I said what I said for our own good. Do you really think that you would be a scriptwriter if you were pregnant? BBC wouldn’t have hired you and you know it.

Coraline looks at him with disbelief and gets away from Kyle.

-Don’t talk nonsense Kyle, don’t talk nonsense because we both know that I would be working on my TV show whether I were pregnant or not!

Kyle tights his jaw and his fists. Anger is written all over his face.

-Then why Coraline,-yells Kyle- why did you aborted if you wanted that baby so much?

-Because of you! - Suddenly the anger that was written in Coraline’s face disappears, replaced by a trembling lip- I aborted because I didn’t want to lose you.

Suddenly Coraline’s sobs the silence established between them. Kyle tries to leave but her sobs hold him prisoner in that exactly spot, making him even angrier.

-Look Cora, I’m sick and tired of this; or you start solving your problems or you will lose me, whit or without a baby.

This time his foots follow his orders and Kyle starts leaving. Coraline tries to retain him but he leaves the apartment, leaving Cora crying on the floor and thinking about what they’ve left behind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you SO much for read my short story! English is not my mother tongue (as you can clearly see) and it means the world to me that all of you spend you time reading it. Well, I'm rambling, so I'll go straight to the point:

Thanks to read my story and if you want to wirte a comment or sent me a message I'll be answer you gladly.

Thank you so much.

Aina <3