Chapter 6

( hey guys sorry for the late chapter school started and we had a lot of tests like science, geography etc etc anyways to the story)
Chapter 6
Dan had always wanted to ride in a police car, but not like this.

Chapter 6

His chest still hurt from the smoke. He sat in the backseat of the police car with Saladin on his lap and tried not to wheeze, but every breath was like inhaling sand.

"If youd just brought your inhaler. . . " Amy chided. But he hated his inhaler. It made him feel like Darth Cahill or something. Besides, he hadnt had an attack in forever, and he didnt know they were going to get caught in a stupid fire.

He couldnt believe the family mansion was gone. Hed woken up this morning sure that Amy and he would inherit the place. Now there was nothing left -- just a smoking mountain of rubble.

The police detectives hadnt given them many answers. It looked like arson, they said.

The fire spread too quickly to be an accident. They said William McIntyre would be okay. Amazingly, no one else had been hurt. Dan had told the police about Alistair Oh leaving the mansion in a big hurry.

He figured he might as well try to get the old creep in trouble. But Dan had said nothing about the thirty-nine clues or the secret library or the strange guy with the binoculars.

"Who was the man in black?" Amy whispered, like shed been thinking the same thing. She had Graces jewelry box on her lap, and she was twisting her hair the way she always did when she was nervous.

"Dont know," Dan said. "Alistair?"

"He couldnt have been in two places at once. " Lexi reasoned

"Mr. Holt?"

"Mr. Holts not that old, and hes a lot more buff. "

"Aunt Beatrice dressed as a man?" Personally, Dan liked this idea, because Beatrice definitely had the "evil" factor going for her. After all, shed just left them at the mansion without a second thought. But Amy rolled her eyes.

"He wasnt anybody we know, Dan. At least, Im pretty sure. But he was watching us, like he wanted to see if we got out. I think he set that fire to trap us. "

"Mrrp," Saladin said.

"I agree with the cat," Dan said. "After that man in black and Uncle Alistair, I say we make a new RESOLUTION. Stay away from old guys. "

"Well have to be more careful about everybody. " Amy lowered her voice even more.

"Dan, our mother was involved in the thirty-nine clues. That writing -- "

"Yeah, but thats impossible. The contest just started!"

"It was Moms writing. Im sure. She said, Follow Franklin, first clue. Maze of Bones. We have to find out what that means. This is just the kind of mystery Mom wouldve loved!"

Dan knew he shouldnt have felt annoyed, but he hated that Amy and Lexi remembered more about their parents than he did. He would never have recognized their moms handwriting. He had no idea what kind of person shed been.

"We lost the book," he grumbled. "We kind of failed already, didnt we?"

Amy traced the monogram on top of Graces jewelry box. "Maybe not. I have an idea, but were going to need an adult. Alistair was right about that. Well never be able to travel without one."

"Travel?" Dan said.

"Where are we going?" Lexi asked.

  Amy glanced at the cop. She leaned closer to Dan and Lexi and whispered, "First, we need to find a chaperone. And quickly.