• 27 • The Alley

We walked past a few stores before Josie stopped in front of a high-end jewellery shop. She stood in awe in front of an 18k rose gold bracelet with embedded crystals and a heart and butterfly charm.

I watched her face glow in admiration, "Do you like it?"

"How could I not? It's gorgeous," she breathed out, hypnotized by the jewelry's beauty.

"Then let's buy it," I decided, walking into the shop.

Josie followed me closely, "What? No, did you see the price of this thing?"

I shrugged, nonchalant, "I didn't, but I don't need to. Just seeing that look on your face is enough to make my mind up. And," I added knowing she was going to try to argue back, "I refuse to change it."

I walked up to the cashier, "Hi, yes, could you please get me the Consuela bracelet? The one in the window."

"Which size will it be?" The old chubby man asked.

"I don't know- what size are you, amor?" I turned to Josie who rolled her eyes.

"I am not telling you my size, because you are not buying this bracelet. Sorry for wasting your time, Juan," she declared after reading the worker's name tag.

I took her wrist and rapidly analyzed it, "She looks like a medium," I confidently stated.

"That's not a bracelet size," they both said at the same time.

"I'd say she's a 7.25," the man judged after a couple of seconds.

"How did you know?" Josie was obviously impressed.

"I've been designing jewelry for almost thirty years now, I'm the one who designed Consuela," he proudly let us know. "So, would you like anything else with the bracelet?"

"No, no bracelet, thank you, Juan-" Josie insisted.

"I'm still buying it, Consuela in 7.25, please," I cut her off.

"Well I won't be wearing it so why are you buying it?"

"Who told you I was buying it for you?" I innocently asked and handed Juan my credit card.

"So who are you buying this for?" She quirked her eyebrow.

"I've got other people to offer this beautiful bracelet to," I lied while I could feel her stare burn holes on the side of my head.

"Oh, yeah?"

I nodded," Yep. Perhaps a special woman in my life. A lady friend," I slyly teased her, loving to see how pissed off she was, arms crossed and all.

"You're annoying, you know that, right?" She rhetorically asked.

I kissed her cheek and smiled at her, "That's why I'm your boyfriend."

She rolled her eyes and brought her hand up to play with her locket. That's not a good sign...

"Such a beautiful necklace you got there. Family jewelry?" Juan pointed to the locket.

"Huh... yes," Josie nervously answered. "My mother gave this to me."

"Can I take a look? It seems like the chain is overdue for a change."

Josie hesitantly nodded and I helped her remove it. Juan looked the chain over for a half a minute while mumbling to himself. "I could easily change the whole piece to real gold without damaging the pictures, if you want me to, of course."