Water Lilies

Prologue:

"Row row row your boat,

gently down the stream,

merrily merrily merrily merrily,

life is but a dream."

The slap of a paddle on water and the children's song was all that could be heard on the swamp waters of Louisiana.

Kristy and Lilly sang their melody as they paddle content with life for today and tomorrow, just happy the third graders were out of school.

"Row, row, row , row your boat,

Gently down the stream,

Merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream" Kristy started the round, and on 'gently' the other girl began, and they sang over and over again.

The paddles splashed and cut through the water sending ripples across the river, making the lily pads rock like little boats on a stormy sea. The frogs crocked and birds fluttered, a baby croc's two beady eyes watched the row boat as it past. And the two voices sang.

The fish swam, darting away from the paddles. Willows brushed the water with their arms, a crane water on its stilt like legs. A snake wond his way up a tree, like Repunzel to her tower.

And three voices sang

"Row, row, row, row your boat

Gently down the stream,

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,

Life is but a dream

~*~

Stars shown brightly in the night sky, and the reflected of the water as the moon glowed. Ripples lapped as the small row boat gently bumped into the dock. There were no paddles and there were no little girls.

*