Chapter 1

His dark rugged face fills with frustration as he stares at the pile of papers in front of him. It's not uncommon for him to be moody, especially on Monday mornings. But, today he was in a worse mood than usual. I saw him snap at the poor intern Freddy, unleashing all his anger out on him. My heart hurt for him as I saw him turn completely red and stutter frantically. I wanted to give Mr. Chamberlain a piece of my mind. But I knew better than to do that. I wanted my job after all! I wonder if anyone has actually stood up to him or even raised their voice at him? Probably not, judging by his intimidating aura.

I sit at my own desk outside the glass doors leading to his office. My black pencil skirt reaches just above my knees and my white blouse contrasts nicely. I take a large sip of my iced coffee, my lipstick smudging across the rim of the straw. I poured myself the leftover brewed coffee from last night at home, just before leaving. My roommate, and best friend since middle school, Alyssa brewed it last night.

After my protests about the caffeine keeping her awake, I was shocked to see her knocked out on the couch. Her mouth was parted open and I quietly laughed when I saw drool. I managed to take a picture and sent it to the group chat we had with all our friends. Then I woke her up from her sleep and walked her to her bed, even though she groaned at me for waking her up. She'll thank me later when she doesn't wake up with a major backache.

I hope the coffee keeps me awake even though the day has only just started. I didn't have much faith though seeing it have no effect on Alyssa. My work phone rings loudly and I hurry to answer it, almost spilling my coffee in the process.

"Hello this is Lilliana from Chamberlain Inc. How can I help you today?" I greet kindly.

"Hi Lilliana, this is Bryce. Could you buzz me in?" A deep voice asks me. Bryce is Grayson's best friend.

"Of course." I respond, hitting the button on the side of my desk that unlocks the doors. Only this floor needs people to be buzzed in since it's the boss's floor, leaving me to have to open the door for everyone. I heard the unlocking of the doors through the phone and Bryce hangs up. I put the phone back on the line and a few seconds later I see Bryce round the corner, flashing me a beaming smile.

"How's your morning beautiful?" Bryce not-so-casually flirts, giving me a wink. I laugh lightly. Bryce's golden blonde hair sits on his hair unstyled, embracing his natural waves. He wears a pair of dark navy blue slacks and a pale blue button up shirt. He runs a hand through his hand and shakes his head slighting, a curl falling down. His clean shaven face makes him appear more boyish, but his muscular physique sure doesn't.

"Pretty good." I answer. Bryce turns around, observing Grayson. He lets out a low whistle and turns back around.

"Why is he in a bad mood?" He questions, I shrug in response. I had gotten so used to his tantrums that I no longer bothered to find out why.

"Don't worry, I'll cheer him up." Bryce smoothly replies. I give him a small smile, knowing he wont be able to help much. Suddenly a voice booms behind him..

"Bryce, what the fuck are you doing here?" Grayson gruffly asks. His deep voice makes my heart race. He crosses his arms, causing his muscles to strain against the suit. Bryce sheepishly turns around to face him.

"Can't a guy come and see his best friend?" He asks, his voice rising in tone, and Grayson rolls his eyes.

"We all know you didn't just come to see me." He roughly responds, annoyance palpable within his voice. I force myself to stifle a laugh. Grayson wasn't lying, Bryce usually comes over if he's in trouble. Last week, Bryce crashed Grayson's car which he "borrowed" without asking. A look is shared between them and then Grayson turns to me.