Chapter 10

Stiles had been a little concerned about the state of the place they would be staying, but when he and Derek finally make it he sees it's a perfectly nice two-story little house, fairly well-secluded, pressed right up against the fence. Derek's friends have nearly finished unpacking, but they proudly demonstrate just what makes this house so unique.

"They guy that lived here before you was crazy fucking paranoid," Ethan explains, dragging Derek and Stiles over to a panel on the wall. "Once we were worried that the wall had been breached and he set up paint cans outside the door to knock out anyone who tried to intrude. Eventually he went hi-tech. Check it out— " He presses the large red button on the panel. There's a shuddering sound, and bars start to descend over the windows in the living room and kitchen. "And this button right next to it automatically bolts the doors, too!"

Aidan appears at his brother's side. "Now you have to wait twenty minutes before you can bring the bars up, though. Oh, and this button opens the bomb shelter. It's really just the basement, but it's packed with provisions and this little green button is the only way to open the door. Once you're down there you can press a button that disables the switches up here, so no one can unlock the door while you're inside."

"I swear Derek just got a hard-on," Stiles says without thinking. He goes fire-engine red as soon as it's out, unable to look over to see if Derek's face is the same shade. He might be playing his role as Derek's mate a little too well.

"If that's the case, we'd better leave you two to christen the house," Aidan leers, tugging his brother's arm. "Hey, Der, pack meeting tomorrow, like we used to? Erica and Boyd are living together now, you know, so they usually host..."

Derek immediately looks at Stiles as if checking to see if it's okay. "Only if Stiles can come," he says firmly, playing the part of the devoted mate right to the hilt.

"Of course, man. Hey, Stiles, you're welcome anywhere, anytime. You know that, right?" Both triplets give him broad, genuine grins. Everyone else, congregating by the door, flashes him the same smile and Stiles can't help but return it. For a minute he feels almost ashamed to be human. A werewolf interlocker would never get such a warm welcome out in his world.

When the werewolves are gone the house suddenly seems too quiet, and he realizes, for the first time, that he's going to be playing house with Derek. Just the two of them for what could be over five months. Journeying together was one thing, but now they've reached their destination, and there's nowhere to go but closer and closer towards each other.

Derek seems to be digesting it as well and after an awkward second he asks, "So...should we explore?"

"See what booby traps Mr. Home Alone left? Absolutely."

They tromp upstairs together. There's a bedroom, a small bathroom, a spare room, and only one window, a small little porthole that apparently wasn't worthy of protective bars. Stiles doesn't mind. Ever since Kate had shot through the glass in his kitchen, he's been a little way of windows. Besides, the walls are a pretty eggshell color, and they could always spruce them up with some of those wall clings he likes so much.

Fucking hell. He's interior designing their escape house. Sometimes he really is the most clichéd omega imaginable. This isn't a vacation home, although if it was he could totally give it a name. The Hunter Hideaway. He images making a welcome mat with the words written in curlicues and snorts.

Derek gives him a funny look. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just a little loopy. I need a shower, and then a nap. Are there sheets on the bed?"

"Ah— yeah. I guess the last guy left them." Derek jams his hands in his pocket, his signature uncomfortable move. "Look, I'll just take a pillow down to the couch. I don't want you to feel like we have to keep sharing a bed."