Animal Instincts

"You really have to be more careful, you could've ended up with another scar." A soft voice spoke to Benji ad they cleaned a wound on his arm.
"Yeah I know, but honestly I could care less." Benji shrugged .
"Well start caring because I wont be around forever to take care of you." The voice spoke again.
"Yes you will" Benji smirked. "You wouldn't abandon me even if I got into more trouble." He spoke with a flirtatious tone just like his father.
"...okay don't get me wrong, the scars make you look hot but, but please be careful...." the voice pleaded and latched onto Benji's side. The male lion sighed in defeat and nodded. "Alright baby, I'll try to watch myself."
Benji rested his head on the taller person's shoulder and chuckled a bit.
"Good...I didn't plan on losing the only idiot to fall into my trap..."
.....
"What did you say...?" Benji asked quite confused.
"You heard me..." the voice darkened. Benji froze and his face went pale. He got up and tried to flee.
"Don't leave you little brat" the voice spoke as they tackled Benji.
"DON'T CALL ME THAT! LET GO!" Benji kicked and screamed.
"Why? What's wrong honey? Am I startling you?" Benji closed his eyes and whimpered. But before he could scream for help, before he could even open his eyes, it went silent and the pressure on him was relaxed.

"She's gone now baby...."

Benji's ears perked up and he opened his eyes. He slowly raised his head to see who spoke, an all too familiar voice. Once he saw her, he froze.

".....Ma....?"

Right before him was a small female lion with a high ponytail and hot pink highlights.
"Yes...hello dear.."
Benji stood up and tried to take in the sight. What the fuck was happening...? Wasn't his mother...dead...?
"But I thoughtyou were...."
"Dead?...yeah I know..." Leah finished the sentence for him. "Look, that doesn't matter, what does is that you show this to Pa." She handed him a paper that read 'January 16th'.
Benji looked at it, confused.
"Please give it to him.." Leah smiled. Benji still didn't understand. How was his mother talking to him? She was murdered over 9 years ago. Without thinking, Benji darted to Leah, wrapping his arms around her and clinged to the lion.
Leah chuckled quietly and gently hugged back. Her son sobbed into her shoulder silently as he held onto her mother for dear life. After a while, he spoke...
"Ma...?"
"Yeas dear?"
"Does Pa know you're here? He would be overjoyed if he kn-"
"NO..."
"..no what...?"
"...he...doesn't know...nobody does..."
"So...you're lying...?"
"....kinda....it's complicated"
"Oh...."
Benji paused to think. Was his mother living a secret life without them? Did she fake her death? And...where did his love go? Why were they so mean...? His thoughts were cut off by a sigh.

"I gotta go now honey..."

Benji's eyes widened and he held onto her tighter. "NO! P-Please don't...don't go....please..." he begged.
Leah stayed quiet. She picked up her son and started to walk. Benji, still clinging onto her, didn't care at all.
Leah stopped at a familiar place. A park. There was a fountain in the middle, a few benches, and a playground. Slowly and carefully, Leah placed Benji on a bench qnd sat next to him. She put his head in her lap and pet his hair slowly.
"Benji..."
"Yeah?"
"Promise me that no matter what....you take care of Zia and April on the 16th..."
"Why....?"
"Just.....do it, please.."
"Okay...."
Benji and Leah stayed like that for a few minutes, and eventually Benji started to get tired. As his eyes grew heavy, Leah kissed his forehead and smiled.
"Goodnight my little king...."
"Night mama...." Benji mumbled as he closed his eyes and rest. Leah hummed a quiet tune as her son fell asleep, making it loud enough for him to hear.

......

"WAKE UP KID!"
Benji shot up and looked around. He was still in the park. On the smae bench....but.....Leah wasn't there....
"Oh geez, how'd you fall asleep in the park again?" The male voice in front of him spoke.
"I was....but.....she.....m-ma was....." he spit out while on the verge of tears. "She was right here...s-she was right here!" The lion sobbed.
The other male beepedand quickly hugged Benji close. "Heyheyhey...its okay...it was just a dream kiddo...."