Chapter 3

I groggily rubbed my eyes as I came to, rolling onto my back. I opened them to find myself in a dark room, a dim light source coming from my right. I sat up, finding myself in a white lacy dress. Confusion spread across my features, and I glanced over towards the yellow glow. My head began to ache as I looked at it, and my vision blurred. I immediately laid back down, curling up and gently tugging at my hair. I had seen a vague doorway. Heavy footsteps came padding into the room.

My eyes opened to slits as I attempted to discreetly observe the character. From what I could see he was pale as the moon, with shaggy black hair and a defined jaw. It was then that I noticed he was shirtless. His figure seemed a bit scrawny, but as I opened my eyes further I saw his obvious abs as they stared at me. His arms were muscular, too...

Oh, shut up!

My cheeks flushed and I closed my eyes once more, waiting for the telltale rustle of fabric when he put his shirt on. I pretended I had just woken up, stirring in the bed before rubbing my eyes again. They flitted open, and I attempted to mimic the look of disorientation I had when I first woke. I groaned as my headache came back, though the figure made no move to close the door. He strode forward, his steps now silent. With a shock, I noticed he had odd tentacle-like limbs coming from his back. I gasped, sitting up straight and backing up against the headboard.

"Who-who are you?" I croaked out, breaking the silence. The gears in my mind turned at a rapid pace, trying to figure out what was going on. He looked at me curiously, and I couldn't help but be drawn into his reassuring, safe features.

"Let me help you with that," he says, one of his tentacles sliding forward. I recoil, panicking before it touched my neck gently, causing me to flinch and slap it away.

"Get-" I froze. My voice... It came out smoothly, a warmer tone to it than I would've expected. Tears slipped down my cheeks as an overwhelming flood of emotions crushed through me. I was afraid one moment, and amazed the next.

"D-don't cry! I didn't mean to- look, just-" he looked flabbergasted, completely unsure of what to do. He hesitantly reache his arm out as if to tame a beast. It crossed my mind that I wasn't the beast: he was.

"Please don't be afraid..." The words took me back in time, to a memory of long gone moments.

"I know you," I whisper quietly.

A little girl five years of age sat in a sandbox as the surrounding children awkwardly played while looking at the bandages around her throat. They stared, causing her to self consciously touch her neck. A light burning sensation radiated from the point where fingers met bandage. Another girl approached, her arms crossed and her blonde hair flying in the breeze.

"You're in my spot!" She pouted, glaring at the first child. The brunette tried to talk, though her voice failed her as a result of her injury.

"Move out of my way! Or else I'll go tell all the other kids that you're crying." The brunette lowered her eyes, tears slipping down her cheeks.

"You're such a freak. Maybe that's why your mommy tried to kill you. She's a freak, too." The blonde smirked as her victim rose. The brunette thrust her fist into the meaner girl's features. Blondie began to sob loud, ear shattering sobs that only a child of her age could manage. Their babysitter appeared, rushing to the child's aid.

"Juliette! What did you do?!" she asks, panicking over the fallen one. Juliette ran, cursing both her voice and her mother for the pain they had caused her. She couldn't stand up for herself- she couldn't tell her side of the story. And she hated that.

She ran to the woods, tripping over roots and sticks, dirt gathering on her clothing. She stopped when she came to a clearing, collapsing on the ground and crying.