🥀 PROLOGUE

"make a wish, kookie

"make a wish, kookie."

the boy in question looked up from the floor with desperate eyes. the wax on the lit candle was already melting and dripping into the white frosting of his birthday cake. he had to blow it out now or else the cake wouldn't be edible anymore.

but he didn't want to, not yet.

"hyung.." be pleaded, already knowing that it wasn't going to work but still trying anyways. "hyung, can we wait just five minutes more?"

jimin pressed his lips into a straight line, which was unlike his usual warm self what was always smiling. he was holding the cake in his hands for the past ten minutes or so, even though it seemed longer to him.

"we already waited twenty minutes kook," namjoon stated the obvious that nobody else was wanting to. "you gotta blow the candle out now, unless you wanna eat wax flavored cake."

jungkook knew they were right, of course. he had already gotten his hyungs to wait twenty minutes, which was more than their busy schedules could spare. they had all gotten together for his birthday celebration which honestly was more than he had wanted.

well, all except for one.

jungkook didn't want to blow the candle out until all his hyungs were there. he knew it was selfish of him, but for once, just for his birthday, he wanted all of them to be together. putting his personal wants over their busy idol lifestyles- he wasn't proud of it, but it was what it was.

he was just always so busy.

he wanted him to come out of his studio for once. for him to sit with him again, and talk about the stupidest of things, like they used to. for them to discuss lamb skewers and irish bombs. he wanted him to not always be a idol but be a friend sometimes.

but jungkook knew now was not the time.

his other hyungs were busy too. they all had songs to record, lyrics to write, photoshoots to attend, interviews to give, and so many more things planned. the wax was melting, and the silence in the room was choking him.

"make a wish, kook." jimin repeated, moving the cake closer to him. this time, jungkook didn't ask them to wait. he knew suga hyung wouldn't be coming. he had already told them over the phone how busy he was. how he wouldn't be able to attend. how they should go on without him.

but jungkook had waited, thinking maybe he would come. maybe it would be a surprise. maybe, maybe, maybe.

in the end, all he got was bitter disappointment and a petty feeling in his chest.

fuck you hyung, he thought in his mind and turned his eyes to his vanilla cake.

he blew out the candle.