Chapter 6 - Insanity & Suprises

"Are you tired, Your Highness? Your legs seem to be having a dance party without you."

Irene was seething with anger and disappointment towards Gion. She couldn't believe he had betrayed her trust like that. In her rage, she had taken it out on Prince Elio by insulting him, which was completely out of character for her.

"Come sit here if you're tired," Irene said calmly, patting the bed. The prince and the elf complied, remaining silent as Irene's exhaustion and frustration emanated from her.

Irene had been shot by her stepbrother and suddenly woke up in another world, only to discover she had reincarnated with Demetrio, whom she had failed to protect. If she hadn't annoyed the prince, she would have been drinking herself into oblivion right now.

As she let go of the broken glass bottle and plopped down onto the bed, covering herself with the fluffy blanket, Prince Elio suddenly screamed her name at the top of his lungs.

"Irene Valentrose!" he bellowed, causing Irene to peek out from under the blanket.

"Fallen rose?" Irene asked, feigning innocence.

The elf burst into laughter, catching Irene and Prince Elio off guard. Laurie had never seen the prince act like this.

Today, Prince Elio had invited Laurie to the palace to play, but his mother suggested he visit the bedridden Lady Irene instead, and Laurie had ended up accompanying him. "What elf are you?" She ask suddenly.

"Uh... well, there are different types of elves, and I happen to be a half-shadow elf," Laurie said hesitantly.

Irene widened her eyes at him, and Laurie raised his eyebrow in confusion. "So, does that mean a full shadow elf is invisible?" Irene asked, creeped out by the idea.

Laurie was amused and confused at the same time. "What? No, that's ridiculous," he said, scrunching his eyebrows.

"Oh thank God," Irene whispered, her relief evident in her voice.

"Why do you ask unimportant things instead of about your personal life?" Elio questioned, puzzled.

"What do you mean unimportant? Like, imagine waking up with no memories and zero survival knowledge, like you had no idea about the world you live in. No offense, but people with a low presence have the potential to kill or do something that normal people can't easily do," Irene explained quickly and clearly, her frustration palpable. She was still clutching her blanket tightly.

Laurie's eyes widened in shock, and he covered his mouth with his hand. "Oh- don't worry, I'm not an assassin," he reassured her.

"No, it's okay. Being an assassin is fine," Irene replied, cutting him off. Laurie was now thoroughly confused.

"What do you mean, fine?" the prince interjected, feeling left out and confused.

"He has the potential to be an assassin, you know. He could make so much money in the assassin guild. Are you blind?" Irene said, already starting to dislike the prince. Was he really the main male lead? The future emperor? Why was he so clueless? He was their friend, after all! Irene was already questioning her future interactions with him.

"I can't believe the prince of the empire is so stupid and blind," Irene muttered, sounding disappointed, before wrapping herself up in her blanket.

Laurie couldn't help but hold back a laugh as he watched the scene unfold before him. He had almost forgotten that Irene knew his true identity as an elf.

Elio, on the other hand, was beyond angry. He had never been humiliated like this before. As a prince, he was used to being praised and admired by everyone. No one had ever dared to criticize him, let alone insult him.