chapter one

The way I figure it, happy ending are lies created by society so you're happier when you're dead. Think about it. If I were to tell you, 'be optimistic then die.', you would probably hate me. A lot. But, if I were to say to you, 'life is an amazing part of the world, don't worry about death because there will always be a happy ending.', you would be a bit happier when you die. I also believe that a person that is ready to die can save another person who is also on the verge of death. I, William Kingston, was the imperfectly human on the verge of death. My beautiful savior, Marissa Granger, was also close to the bucket kicking.

This story begins on a sunny, quiet summer day. Birds are chirping. All the cheesy things are happening. Yet I am anything but sunny and quiet because I am breaking down.

"I can't do this." I say, tears rolling down my cheeks and hitting the carpet floor. I could no longer cope with my feeling of not belonging. I was going to do it tonight. I am going to leave this wretched world. My mom hates me, and my dad had left us years ago.

"But I have to." I say, unlocking the bathroom door. I put on a fake smile and walk to my room. I look into my mirror and look at myself. Perfectly blue eyes and dirty blond hair. Bunches and bunches of freckles are on my cheek and a few are scattered likes stars on my neck.

A few minutes later I get prepared for school. I throw on a random shirt and an even more random pair of pants. I grab my car keys and my windsor sunglasses, and leave my house. After thinking about the wonders of the world, like popcorn or pugs, I get into my Toyota and drive to Poe Academy.

When I get there, people stare at me. Only bad things come to my mind when I think about what they whisper about me; There goes William, the depressed guy. I just want my feet to leave the ground, as I fly away. I take my sunglasses off and walk into the school.

"Hey Will." My friend, Liam, says when I get to my locker. I nod and get my books out of my locker. I think about my mental breakdown in my bathroom earlier and wince. I decide to leave school earlier than normal, and spend some time alone to think about how I'm going to die.

"If life is such a bitch, then what is death?" I whisper to myself as I follow Liam to AP English. After that class and two others, and then lunch I leave school early. I need some time alone.

I wasn't always like this. When I was younger, I was full of life and had dreams. A doctor or a superhero was what I wanted to be.

But, then I woke up one night and my parents were yelling at each other. A few minutes later I heard a loud crash and all was silent.

"Mom... Dad." I go into their room and scream at the sight before me. My mom was knocked out on the ground, a bruise on her forehead. My dad was standing over her his hands balled into a fist. I ran over to my mom, trying to wake her up. My dad left the room and minutes later, the whole house and my life. My life was completely shattered that catastrophic night. The ambulance arrive at our house and I lie about what happened. This is why she hates me. Every since then when we are in the same room she avoids me like carbs.

Back to the present, I put away my things, grab my backpack, then put on my windsor sunglasses. I zip my jacket up and put on my hood as I walk out of the school doors. This part right here is a cliché. The door opens, hitting a girl holding coffee with both of her hands. When the door hits her the coffee falls out of her soft looking hands and onto the ground.

"You-" She begins.

"I'm really sorry." I frantically say, getting down to pick up the coffee. What's life without clichés?

"Don't worry about it. It's not like it costed money or anything." She looks me dead in the eye and then laughs. Her laugh is beautiful, just like her.