Chapter 2

“Oh, that’s ok I don’t need the rest.” Was my replay to her question.

Never in my life have I figured out the meaning behind “Omitting part of the truth” until this day. This is what it feels like to be in a situation where you pounder on giving the full truth or just simply answering a question without explaining further more. It makes me a bit at ease just to tell her the answer because after all she is a stranger and no one would like to share personal details with strangers. I’ll probably never see the girl ever again for all I know.

“Ok then, I’m Laura Parker nice to meet you.” She said showing me her pearly whites and stretching her hand for me to shake. I gladly obliged and took her hand in mine and gave it a quick shake. the softness of her skin contrasting with the roughness of my hand made me once again aware of the excessive beating of my heart.

“A lovely name for a lovely lady, I’m Dave Carlton and the pleasure is all mine.” I said pleading my voice not to break.

“I have to go now I have an interview with someone.” She sounded sad saying that which only lasted for few seconds then her eyes glinted with mischief and she grinned “ Do you have a pen?” She asked and I was wondering why does she need a pen?

I always keep a pen with me, you never know when will you need one. I got it out of my pocket and gave it to her. She took it and stretched her hands once again to claim mine and wrote something on it. “That’s my number.” She stated with a smile “Make sure to call me so that I can return the favor to you. Maybe to have dinner somewhere, oh I got the right outfit just for that occasion.” She said punctuating her sentence with a wink. With that she left in a hurry without receiving any reply from my end.

I unhooked my bike and rode it all the way to my Dad’s house. Feeling the breeze hitting your face after the rain is the best feeling in the world. It always managed to make me relax and clear my mind.

When I was eighteen my Dad bought me an apartment a few blocks away from him. Knowing the guy I am he figured out that I won’t last a day not seeing him or my sisters because we always have been close to each other. Bickering with my sisters, teasing them and sharing our laughter together that’s what it used to be like a few years ago. Now I live alone in an apartment and visit them daily to hang out.

After ten minutes a two story house with cream walls and a brown roof came in my view, the place I called home for the first eighteen years of my life. Putting the bike in the garage I headed for the front door, got my keys and opened it to be greeted with Sarah tackling me and Lucy standing behind her.

“Wow there, slow down a bit you almost made me a part of the front door.” I said laughing while trying to steady myself after her attack. “So, what’s got you all excited on this fine day.” I said fidgeting innocence. While in fact I know what she’s up to.

“You’re late something must have happened.” Sarah said jumping up and down with a huge grin and glinting eyes. Then she put her arms on her hips gave me a stern look and said “Spell it right now!”I was trying so hard to contain my laughter this girl can swing moods so darn fast!

 I shrugged my shoulders and said “Not really, nothing special happened I just met someone new.” I answered.

She stared at me for few moment then yanked my hand and examined it with raised eyebrows. This five foot four blond girl finds anything interesting which always gets me in trouble every time she middles with my life.

“You just met someone new huh.”  She stated her piercing blue eyes penetrating my soul then asked “ Would that person’s name be Laura Parker?”  

I sighed, there’s no point in denying that because knowing Sarah she’ll find out anyway. Fifteen minutes later we were setting in the living room and I just finished telling them what happened at the coffee shop. Sarah ran off somewhere and Lucy looked so excited.