The Last Song For My Daughter

THE LAST SONG FOR MY DAUGHTER
Story Written By: IamGon1827

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK... I knocked on the door before asking permission to enter in her room.

"A Moment Mom!" She answered joyfully and I heard her footsteps. "Come in!" She giggled.

Wearing my strained smile, I opened the door and saw her hiding something under her Doraemon printed pillow. "What are you doing Sweetie?" I asked her when I was already sitting on her bed.

"Nothing Mom, I'm just playing with Dolly." She was talking about her Barbie doll. "Ohhs?" I looked at her suspiciously, I was quite sure that she had hidden something under her pillow but I kept it aside so as to talk to her about our plan for that day.

I stood up and went to her closet to find her a dress suitable for her medical consultation. "Are you ready Baby?" I asked her while preparing her dress.

"Yes Mom! But can you stop calling me Baby or Sweetie; I'm a big girl now." She said annoyingly.

I laughed while looking at her exasperated face. "And why is it that my daughter doesn't want to be called Baby? Is there something wrong?" Her face became more irritated.

"Okay! Okay! I'll never call you Baby anymore so stop sulking." She grunted and returned to her normal mood. "Smile Rain..." She smirked and showed the dent on her teeth, I also smiled.

Wearing her royal blue printed colored dress; she looked at herself in the mirror and turned around. "I like it Mom!" She said buoyantly.

"You look very pretty Baby!" I said while I too looked at her in the mirror.

"Of course Mom, I am beautiful because I resemble you a lot!" She didn't notice me calling her Baby! "But Mom?" She stopped for a moment and looked at herself intently, and then suddenly her cheerful face was replaced by sadness.

"Am I still pretty even though there is not a single hair on my head Mom?" I was just stunned by her unexpected question.

"U-uhm..." She gazed at me earnestly, while I, on my part, struggled to compose a single sentence to answer her question. "Ohhh! Of course you're still beautiful. You are always beautiful Baby." She gave me a big smile.

"Really Mom?" I nodded and sighed heavily.

"Mom?" I looked at her and waited for what she would ask next. "Can we go to the amusement park?"

I stopped for a moment after hearing her request as I remembered my last conversation with Doctor Hidalgo. All of a sudden I found myself in the doctor's clinic when he pronounced the verdict: "Pam, I'm so sorry to tell you this. Rain's body didn't respond to any medication we applied to her." My world stopped after hearing the most adverse news in my whole life. My body weakened in shock at what I had just heard.

"D-doc, please don't say that, there may be another way for her to be healed. P-please do everything to make her better." Tears flowed down like a river from my eyes while begging Doctor Hidalgo to cure my Rain.

"I'm so sorry Pam, we did everything we could but her body can no longer cope at all, she is just five years old, Pam." I got even more depressed hearing him talking. I couldn't accept it. Never.

"We will still monitor Rain from time to time in case there's any alteration in her condition, but for now the only thing you can do is to be prepared for anything that might happen." I was under deep shock while trying to understand what I did not want to hear.

"Be strong Pam, her days may be numbered but still it is not the end. Spend these days as close to her as possible, make her days worth remembering and don't forget to pray for strength. Life is in God's hands. He will carry you both through the storm and give you the strength to make it. Don't get drowned by negative thoughts as these would affect Rain as well. We can't change reality but it's up to us to decide how to face it. Spend your days creating lovable memories and give the best of yourself." He was trying to console me and direct me but all the more Doctor Hidalgo's words were like daggers that stabbed my heart repeatedly.