v. This Means War

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE.
this means war

     HER SUIT IS ITCHY

     HER SUIT IS ITCHY. It's sticking to Nova's body and it feels way too hot inside of it. Maybe it's because of the German weather. Or maybe it's because Nova's sweating like a motherfucker. She knows that she plays it off pretty well, but she's shitting bricks right now. It's one thing to help Captain America with something, but it's a completely whole other thing to be fighting against Iron Man.

Van-Man (whose name Nova's now learned is Scott) kept asking all the questions that she had. What do you mean Stark? Why is he shutting down the airport? Are we running away from him? Are we fighting him? Yes, she's learned is the answer — although no one would say it directly.

And although Nova is most definitely in way over her head, she trusts Steve. She believes in him, as cheesy as it sounds. And he wouldn't have come to her if he didn't believe in her either. She's got this. Everything's gonna be fine.

Even if she can't reach the itch on her lower back.

So Nova adjusts the earpiece in her left ear, and she gets into position. She meets Nic's eyes, who's across from her as they hunker down behind one of the loading trucks in the airport. She jiggles her foot as Steve runs out into the middle of the airport.

Nova thinks she can feel the vibe in the atmosphere change when Tony Stark arrives, she doesn't have to look to know he's there; she just knows. And judging by the look that Nic's giving her right now, he knows too.

There's a muffled conversation between the two, a lot of which Nova can only hear what Steve's saying. Nova almost yelps when a figure soars above her and onto the platform where Steve, Tony Stark, and James Rhodes are. She shuts her eyes and prays to God that no one sensed her there and she didn't just fuck everything up. But it gets especially hard when Nova hears the voice of Natasha Romanoff muffled through Steve's earpiece. Don't freak out Nova.