Chapter 21

---Stella POV---
We passed through the town. Mostly everyone seemed calm as if they had no idea what was going on.

"Karla?" I whispered. She turned to me as we continued walking.

"Yes?" She asked.

I glanced at the road infront of us. "Do... you think everything will be okay?" I asked.

Karla sighed. "I'm not sure. They came here for something, but its not the first time this has happened. We've delt with Projectors a few times in the past."

"What do they want?" I asked in a curious, yet serious tone.

She stopped walking and looked back at me. Silence fell over the group as even Aulak and Krib felt it's heavy discomfort.

"It has to do with me. I have something they want, and they'll do anything to get it." She said in a monotone voice. "That involves killing you."

I could hear Aulak whisper something to Krib.

"Mind sharing with the group?" Karla said in an annoyed tone.

Aulak shifted. "Well, we did see a Projector with your prized Sabre. The one with purple gems and silver."

Karla pause. "And you barely tell me this now?" She grew frustrated.

They let out a "tsk" as they looked over to my direction. "Look, I never said I was on your side. I was more focussed on the Southern Kingdom's princess instead of your dumb sword." They said with their arms crossed.

Her fists clenched. "It's not just some dumb sword. That sword has been passed down generation to generation!"

I felt awkward. It was odd seeing Karla so upset with something. This sword must mean a lot to her.

"I can make my way to the castle by myself. It's not too far by horse." I said interrupting their conversation.

She looked back at me with hesitation. Many thoughts seemed to go through her mind.

"Ugh! Karla, just go get your dumb sword! Krib and I will escort her highness." Aulak said shoving her to the castle.

"How can I trust you to care for her?" She replied.

"You have my word. I will, in the best of my ability, protect her highness. Meet back with us there when you retrieve your dumb sword." They said already starting down the path.

I glanced back at Karla as she watched us walk away slowly. She let out a sigh and ran towards the castle.

"Don't worry. Most people don't even go down this path. Not a lot of people visit the southern Kingdom because..." they trailed off.

I looked at them curiously. "Because what?"

They rubbed the back of their neck. "How cold it is." They said looking at Krib.

"Is something wrong with that?" I asked as I was walking beside them.

"Not really. It's just that Krib will be stuck in his human form when it gets cold. In this form, he may glow, but he doesn't produce enough heat to stop him from dying out there." Aulak informed, looking at the small orb on his shoulder.

"Luckily we brought coats and blankets on our horse." They said glancing at my arm.

I noticed their glance and looked down. The blood had soaked through, but seemed to have stopped as it had grew a dark color.

"Where did u say your horse was?" I asked, looking back up to them.

They turned to Krib who blinked. "Just by the southern entrance."

"Ah okay." I said. Turning around, I took one last look at the castle as we made it to the gates.

"Your girlfriend is gonna be fine. Let's go." Aulak said in a calm voice.

I flicked the gold chimes on my ears as I felt my anxiety lessen. We made our way to a mule as it had a cart attached.

"Thats not a horse." I said, cringing at the two.

"Stfu! I don't know what it's called." They said in a defensive and offended voice.

"A mule?" I said, stepping onto the cart.

"Whatever!" They said as they embarrassingly climbed onto the mule. I could barely make out a rosy color on their cheeks as they looked away.

I couldn't help but release a small laugh.

Hopefully Karla will be alright.