Great Day - Larry Stylinson AU Short Story aka One Shot

Some days are great, some days are not. That's life, right? Louis knows perfectly well what a great day is, and what isn't. He knows that if he wakes up and the sun is shining through the curtains and Harry is next to him, then it's going to be a great day. If he wakes up in the middle of the night and it's cold and Harry is nowhere to be found, then it's not going to be a great day. Louis is always scared when he goes to bed, because he almost never knows if Harry is going to be with him when he wakes up, or not. But the worst nights are when Louis is sure that Harry won't be there.

This morning is a great one. Harry wakes Louis up with plenty of kisses on Louis' cheeks and nose, and he can feel the sun warm his bare chest. He hears birds singing, Harry giggling and himself sighing of happiness.

"Good morning, love." Harry whispers against Louis' lips.

"Great, actually."

Harry smiles and leans in to finally kiss the boy under him. Louis smiles into the kiss. He loves these days, and he lives for Harry's lips. The kisses they share are always full of love and passion. Right now Louis isn't scared.

"What do you want to do today?"

Louis smiles slightly.

"Cuddle."

"That sounds good to me."

Harry makes eggs to breakfast, and they eat it in bed. It's Saturday today, and they always eat eggs on Saturdays - if Harry isn't nowhere to be found, then Louis is in bed all day trying to figure out what he did wrong this time. After breakfast Harry and Louis has a small argument about which movie to watch, but as Louis' fear of being left alone again comes back, he gives in. So they prepare to watch 'The Notebook'.

"I don't like this movie, Haz."

"Why not, Lou?"

"It's sad."

Harry bites his lip to hide a smile.

"But it ends happily."

"Well, it's sad anyhow. I always cry when I watch this movie, you know that."

"You can cry how much you want, I'm here."

Louis nods.

"Promise you'll always be here."

"I promise."

But Louis doesn't believe him.

"Pinky?"

Harry takes up his hand from Louis knee, and stretches out his little finger. Louis giggles and does the same. They link their fingers.

"I promise Louis. I love you."

"I love you more."

Harry doesn't deny it. Louis swalllows, trying to take away the pain.

And Louis cries, a lot, but so does Harry. They are lying next to each other in the bed, sobbing into the other one's chest, hearts beating as one, as the credits begin.

"I still don't like that movie."

"It's perfect, though."

Louis nods. Harry is right, but it's sad anyway.

"I love you. So much."

"I love you too."

They lie in bed for another hour, whispering things to each other, sharing some more kisses. Louis knows that he has to make the best of the day. It's already afternoon, and the night is closer now then when Harry made the promise, the promise Louis knows he won't be able to keep. Harry will not always be here.

"Do you want to watch another movie?"

"Like?"

It's quiet. Both of them are thinking of good movies they own. Harry knows that he shouldn't choose another sad one. Like 'Titanic'.

"I don't want to anymore."

Louis giggles.

"You're weird Haz."

"You're too."

They smile at each other for a good fifteen seconds. Louis loves Harry's dimples and Harry loves Louis' crinkles by his eyes.

"Scratch my back, will you?" Louis mumbles and turns around so Harry faces Louis' bare back.

"'Course love."

Harry smiles as one of his hands slides over Louis' tummy to his back. Harry doesn't have very long nails, but they're perfect, Louis thinks. Not too sharp, but they exist. As Harry's fingertips caress Louis' body, the sun is going down, and it's getting darker outside. Guilt is washing over Harry. He shouldn't be here, making promises he can't keep, making Louis believe that he is safe with Harry.

"Love?"

"Uh, aha?"

"Keep scratching please."

Harry didn't even notice that he had stopped.

"Sorry, babe."

"It's fine." Louis giggles.

"Was just thinking. Maybe we should go out for dinner tonight?" Harry asks and leans in closer to Louis, planting a kiss on the boy he - after all - loves' neck.

"Maybe. Or we could order something. Just keep scratching."

Harry chuckles.

"Please, let me take you out, Louis."

"Like... a date?"

"Exactly."

Louis relaxes in Harry's touch.

"I'd love to."

The whole night is great. They go to the movies, eat dinner which Harry pays for, take a walk through the streets of London and kiss more than Louis can count to. But when the night is over, when the clock is bed time... Louis is scared again. He is next to Harry, and he is afraid that if he falls asleep, Harry will give him a final kiss on his forehead... and leave.

"Don't leave me."

"I won't."

Louis knows perfectly well what a great day is, and what isn't. He knows that this day won't be great. There is a note lying on the bed where Harry should be. He takes it up and slowly reads it.

"I'm sorry - Harry"