Wrong Number

Harry Potter mentally went over in his head exactly what he wanted to say, for the tenth time that morning then, with a deep breath, rang her number on his mobile phone. He then held the phone to his ear to wait for her to answer.

She answered after three rings. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me. Listen, I've been doing a lot of thinking about our last conversation and – "

"But – "

"No, look, I really need to say this. I really think it's too soon for us to be thinking about moving in together, I mean, it's been what, two months, three? I didn't actually realise we were even being exclusive, I don't recall we ever had that conversation and – "

"Listen, I think –"

"No, Cho, I'm sorry, but my mind is made up. I think I need to concentrate on my career right now so...we need to break up."

He took another breath and braced himself for her tears and an anguished response. Cho was nothing if not over dramatic.

"Are you done?" Her tone was amused, not anguished.

"Er, yeah? Oh, wait! I'd really like us to still stay friends," he remembered.

She snorted, an act that surprised him. "So, er, you're not upset?" he clarified.

"No," she replied, " but if I were this Cho, I'd be pretty pissed at you. Breaking up with me over the phone? That's low, even if it was just three months into the relationship."

"Wait, who is this?" he asked. "I thought I rang Cho's number."

"No, you rang mine," she corrected.

"I'm so sorry," he apologised.

"So am I, for this Cho bird. But you did cover all the relevant points in the Google breakup guide, I'll give you points for that," she chuckled.

"How did you – hey, how did you know I Googled?" he asked, suspiciously. He looked around his loungeroom, as if expecting a random female to suddenly appear and say "Gotcha!"

"My ex boyfriend gave me almost the exact same speech two years ago...and the next day I caught him snogging one of my so called friends," she recalled, still miffed.

"Hey, I'm not like that," protested Harry. "She was just getting too serious too soon. I've only known her for maybe three months and we've had, like maybe, eight dates...and she wanted to move in with me."

"Well, when you put it like that..." she began.

"Exactly," he interrrupted.

"Clearly the poor girl was getting mixed signals from you," she began.

"I don't think so," he replied indignantly.

"Did she meet your parents?" she asked.

"Ye-es, but only because we were on our way out and bumped into them," explained Harry.

"Where exactly did you bump into your parents?" she asked.

He flushed. "Outside my flat, in the hall."

"Did she ever sleep over at yours, or you at hers?" she asked.

"Once," he admitted, "but we were drunk at the time."

"Lovely," she said dryly.

"Hey," he huffed.

"Did you exchange keys?" she asked.

"No! She asked for one, but I kept putting her off. What, I like my space," he defended, at her amused grunt. She was starting to piss him off.

"Oh, sweety, you really don't know how deep in with this Cho you are, do you? The very least you owe her is to break up with her face to face," she said, in a no nonsense tone.

"Do I have to?" he whined. "She's a crier."

"Do it somewhere in public, then," she suggested.

"Won't make a difference," he said, almost to himself.

"Well, good luck then," she said, somewhat dismissively. "Have a nice life."

"Wait," he cried, before she could hang up. "What's your name?" he asked.

She laughed. "Sorry, wrong number."

And she disconnected the call.