Chapter Three

"Take them," the command cut through the night.

Out of the darkness they came, tall, regal...deadly. Moving without a sound as they stepped from the trees and out in the open. My crimson ribbon lashed the air like a whip, drawing their gaze. One broke away from the others and strode toward me, with hungry strides like a predator. His long, midnight hair lashed the air as he walked.

He was beautiful as he moved, graceful and carnal, drawing my gaze along his body. But I knew he was ugly on the inside, cold, undead, his heart as hollow as the rotting trunk beside us on the ground. I shifted my gaze as he neared.

"No!" one of the fathers begged, and fell to his knees in the middle of the clearing. "I beg you, let my daughter go. I'll pay...I have the money...I'll pay."

"Are you not going to whimper?" the Sinful murmured as he stopped in front of me.

I never shifted my gaze toward him. Just clenched my jaw and let hate roll through me like a summer storm. I could kill him...just reach into my boot for my blade and plunge it into his chest. I'd not even blink, not even breathe.

Not even exist.

"Beg, even?" He moved closer and I caught the heady scent of him on the wind. Sweet, and pungent, like ripe cherries...or like blood. He smiled, and the tips of white fangs peeked out from his deep red lips. My pulse spiked in response before he turned and made his way toward the others.

Long strides consumed the distance between him and the two other bloodsuckers as they headed toward the pleading man. I was captured by the sight as the Vampire stepped into the beam of moonlight. The Vampire looked almost human, if 'human' meant he looked detached and cruel. He stopped in front of the pleading man and stared down at him.

"We provide you with protection, do we not?" Stony words rang through the night. "Have you felt safe from the Wolves? Have you been afforded the safety of my guards?"

The two other Vampires came to a stop behind him. He was the leader, that was plain to see. Shorter, mousy brown hair. A hard, strong jaw. Perfect red lips.

"They...they take from us, My Lord. They come in and help themselves to our food, to our livestock."

"And yet your heart still beats."

I shook my head, feeling the bitter breeze change direction. Stop talking. Stop talking and get up. White fangs shone under the moonlight as the leader of the Sinful curled his lip. "You should thank me. You should open your homes and your pockets whenever I demand." He leaned closer to the blubbering mortal man. "You want to be free of my rule? Go, be free. Harmond, see that this man and his family are left outside the protection line."

"What?" the fool stammered.

His eyes widened as a young woman screamed in the distance. "No! Not my family."

"No, please, no!" The man shoved to his feet and swayed. "I didn't mean to offend. I didn't!"

But the Vampire was done. He just turned, giving the mortal father his back.

"You'll kill us!"

The Vampire walked away, as did the two who followed him.

"The Wolves will come and kill us all!"

I closed my eyes and felt the night sway around me. Twigs snapped under heavy boots. I wrenched open my eyes to see darkness stride forward as the Sinful guards moved, grabbing the mortal man by the arms and dragging him away.