Prologue

The sun was warm during the early hours of the day, peeking through the curtains of the girl's bedroom. The dark tones of her room where out of the ordinary for a girl her age, but her parents sought to please her, and with the money they had, saw no issue with giving her what she wanted. Sitting up from the dark red sheets, she looked around. The world around her coming into focus, standing up as her nightgown fell down to her ankles. Walking to her mirror, she sat down and got a good look at herself, tugging slightly at the bags under her eyes. After a few minutes, she stood to finish getting dressed.

Walking down the stairs, past the maid and into the dining room, she saw her mother and father having coffee as they always did in the morning. "Rosie dear! There you are, you're going to be late." Her mother quickly said, standing up and walking towards the girl. "Speaking of late..." her father started. "I don't like how late you've been coming home young lady. And hanging around these...people." Rosie scoffed at his comment, sparing a glance at her mother who was fixing the collar of her dress, she could never quite dress to her mother's expectation. Something was always wrong. "You know dear, your father has a point. You don't tell us where you go, and you come home when it gets late. And since you've been going you have been so..." her father rolled his eyes. "Distant? She hardly speaks anymore. Look at her! She hasn't even said hello, lead alone a good morning." Rosie sighed, and glanced at the clock. "Well, I need to go. Thank you for this very pleasant good morning father." She said, sarcasm clear as she spoke. Her mother slapping her arm slightly for her tone. The platinum blonde turning to face the older woman. There was a long silence, until Rosie couldn't take it anymore. "What is it?" She asked. Her mother's expression looked disappointed, as she looked her daughter in the eyes. "I miss seeing you in your pretty dresses." "Alright, I'm going to go to school now, I'll see you both tonight."

The walk to her school was quiet, it was only recently that her mother even let her go by herself. Perhaps the embarrassment of the looks she got finally drove her away.

With every step she took, mother's would slowly back their children away from her, nothing she wasn't used to by now. If anything Rosie found it amusing.

As she arrived at the school, she immediately went for the door. Other kids played outside in their little friend groups, and Rosie knew she just wanted to get inside before-

Suddenly she felt a sharp pain in the back of her head, reeling forward as her hand flew to the spot she felt it. Eyes glued to the floor as she watched the rock hit the ground just behind her, kneeling down to pick it up.

She glanced behind her, the see almost every child there has stopped to stare at her, horror on their faces as they waited the girl to react. Kneeling down to pick up the rock, she turned to face them all. She didn't even have to speak before another girl pointed at a boy she knew all to well.

Robert. He lived seven houses down from her, and he loved to start rumours. Miraculously it seemed he gossiped more than her own mother. Rosie was more than familiar with him, since he was the one who made her social life all that more difficult when he told everyone she was a-

"Yeah?! What are you gonna do about it, witch?!"

Rosie stood silently, eyes narrowing at him as she opened her book bag and dropped the rock inside, turning to walk into the small building.

The day felt slow, too slow. She just wanted to get out of here, and no longer listen to the students behind her, whispering. Every now and again she learned to turn around and shoot them a glare, it shut them up very fast. And all she needed was some peace and quiet so she could read her book.

When the day ended, she neatly put her things back in her bag, Standing up, she walked towards the door, putting her bag around her shoulders. Stepping outside and into the warm afternoon light. She ignored the loud playful yells of the children surrounding her, and walked straight out of the school and down the sidewalk. It took a bit, but eventually she found herself at the waterfront, walking along it until she reached the woods. The twigs and fallen leaves snapping under her shoes as she pressed forward, eventually stumbling across a rickety small house. Worn down by many years with no repairs, with a woman sitting outside.

On noticing the familiar, the woman smiled. Quickly standing up. "Good afternoon Rosie, how was your day?" She asked. Rosie nodded as she removed her bag, fanning herself with her hand. "Tiring as usual, that same group of boys... I'd kill them if I could, I swear." She muttered. The woman laughed. "Oh I don' know about that dear, but if you keep with your lessons, I'll teach ya how to safely mess with them rascals." She said with a wink.

Louise, a middle aged woman who had been disowned by her family in her early twenties, moved out into the woods to escape the embarrassment that came with it. Witch in practice, and teaching Rosie what she knew along the way. It was originally a very formal relationship, but over the past while had grown a fondness for the girl, no matter how little she showed any real vulnerability.

"Come on now, you've got all those layers on, ya must be overheatin'." She said matter-a-factly. Walking into the house. "Dying more like it, I don't know how my mother manages in all of this." Rosie said sarcastically as she followed her. Louise smirked as she handed Rosie a glass of water. "Rosie, I'll be honest. I work with all sorts of supernatural, And I tell you, your mama's less human then all them." Rosie huffed a laugh, taking a sip of her drink. "I swear that woman gon be the death of both of us. What kinda mother tries to keep their girl from goin' to school?" She asked, waving her hand around in the air as she spoke. "She just wants me to be more like her, ya know. I swear god's stuck me with the most traditional and boring of families."

Louise sighed. "I pity you Rosie, I do. If I know your parents they don't approve of me either." Rosie looked up, raising her glass. "That's why they'll never know." She said simply. Louise smiled and raised her own glass as well. "Amen." Both of them taking a small sip of the water before putting the glasses down again. "If I could, I'd just keep ya myself. Lord knows I always wanted a daughter." The woman said, standing up and walking over to close the windows. "That's very sweet of you." Rosie responded, voice slightly quiet as she thought about it.

Louise quickly turned around, clapping her hands together. "Now, you and I have work to do. Shall we?" She asked, walking to the door and stepping outside. The sun that peaked through the trees giving her dark skin an almost glow to it. Rosie smiled and stood, downing the rest of the water quickly. One thing she loved about this place was how there was no need for manners, Louise didn't care like other's did.

"Yes, let's go." She said with a smile, following the woman outside.