Do You Like Jazz

Cicadas on the birch were restless

Cicadas on the birch were restless. They could sing all day long, saying 'bzzz, bzzz' yet never feel tired. But look at Taehyung, just a twenty-minute bicycling made him regret his birth. How inappropriate! Of Cicadas obviously, Taehyung is spitting facts here.

The summer in Japan is always rude every time. Taehyung can literally see the view weavers slightly because of the scorching midday sun with his sweat-glistened eyes. The red and yellow stripped shorts he had bought at the flea market last summer, is still seemingly good now. True, it has some little holes and the colour seems to be worn out a little than before- but come on, he looks well and good even in this. He is Kim Taehyung, you know.

He pressed his hand on the pockets in search of any leftover coins from his pocket money last month. Today is 24th of May so, obviously it will still take one week for his dad to get the salary and over that, after two or three days for him to finally get the pocket money- one hundred yen. But he is thirsty like hell. Yes, he could have drink mugs of water after getting home, but he doesn't have any remaining strength to cycle again even for fifteen minutes. Impatient, Taehyung fished out whatever stuffs that remained in his pocket, they were as followed- a blue worn out jacket button, two acorns, ten yen, an orange rubber band, three marbles he won at today's game.

'Ten yen it is then, banana milk I am coming.' Taehyung beamed or at least he tried to beam even though his eyes drooping at the sights. One lone sweat drop made its way from his head to his nape.

"I fall in love too easily/ I fall in love too fast/ I fall in love too terribly hard/ for love to ever last" sometimes Jeongguk thinks he wants to be Chet Beker. Singing, playing trumpet, living the life of Jazz. Maybe a girl, all giggly, bright smile, curly bob hair would come and hold his hand in a floral flare dress and both of them would dance till dawn under the moonlit night near the huge camphor tree. Maybe just a maybe he would, then going with whimsy, try to kiss her blushy cheeks- she will mumble ...

'Hey, stop blocking the door. kiddo, you hear me?' Oh. Coming back to reality, it's neither moonlit night, he is not wearing black suit, instead pale grey trousers, and a sleeveless black t-shirt. Aesthetics are long gone- here he can see the huge emo tattoos on his both hands, the cold steel lip piercing hitting his teeth as he tried his best to hide his embarrassment by biting his lips. Coming back to reality; instead of his dream girl , here is a uncle in his late forties standing in front of the door, his belly was so huge that Jeongguk struggled to see his face, from the ground.

'You are blocking the gate kiddo, sit somewhere else. Okay?' he said in a softer tone. He wasn't that bad; it was just he looked scary.

Jeongguk nodded. The headphones dangling on his neck while the music player securely put in his chest pocket. Now that jazz is gone, the Cicadas notified him the harsh summer reality. Maybe, just a maybe he can't be Chet Beker today. But tomorrow he can. He obviously can.

'One banana milk please.' Putting the ten yen on the counter, he scurried the store absentmindedly. Though it was the same man he met outside, was actually handling the counter, Jeongguk knew he wasn't the owner, but the granny sleeping on the bench is. Jeongguk known her for months, they both talk with eyes. He known when she likes to have him here, when she doesn't. Same goes for her.

'Here, your banana milk, kiddo.' The man said, smiling. One of his front teeth was missing.

'Thanks uncle.' He was about to leave, but suddenly like a summer wind someone passed by him. That 'someone' smelt sweaty, minty, summery. He felt like petrichor- for who knew what reason. As much as Jeongguk wanted to look past and see the source of his mixed random feelings, he was scared. Scared for- maybe, just a maybe- if he looks, he won't be able to wear a black suit and dance with his dream girl under the moonlit night. Maybe.

'Taehyung, long time no see son.' The man chimed. There was difference between how he spoke to Jeongguk before, and now he spoke to the person named 'Taehyung'. The voice filled with warm hug with familiar sense, rather than a formal polite chit chat to a random customer he met outside of his store.

'Yeah,' Taehyung's voice choked, but still he managed to speak it out, gulping down the choke successfully. 'I am very thirsty; can I have some banana milk please? Here, ten yen.'

'Oh dear, but the last banana milk has just been sold. We have orange juice, want some?' the man said guiltily. The carton of banana milk was now sweating in Jeongguk's hand while he was still listening to them.

'no, I get hives if I drink them. Allergic.' He said, again stopping the choke somehow.

Jeongguk turned. 'You can have it.' He said, so unlikely of him. Come on, he is Jeongguk. The selfish, emo kid of the class for whom the window sided back bench is always reserved. So unlikely of him.

'Oh... umm,' before Taehyung could say more, he choked. It was harsh, and scary, he really needed to have it. Jeongguk ran to Taehyung, put the straw in the carton, and literally shoved it in his mouth. Though he didn't forget to run his hand on his back, Jeongguk's mother taught him- whenever someone chokes, you should run down your hand on his back. Jeongguk is just spitting facts here.

Intaking a good amount of milk, Taehyung settled down a bit. He looked up to see the saviour, and surprisingly met two big doe eyes. He swore he could find stars in them. The boy seemed to be around his age. His lip was pierced, a mole just below the lower lip.

'Thank you, you saved me.' Taehyung said locking his eyes with the starry night eyes. Well, yes Taehyung wants to be the next Van Gogh. And if not, then he can be Bill Evans! He won the second prize in the school piano competition yesterday.

'It's... it's okay.' Finally, Jeongguk knocking some sense in his dumbhead, mumbled but just as stupid he is, he rushed out of the store. Leaving granny, leaving the banana milk, leaving Taehyung.

He took big steps. Nearly ran. Somehow a hunch itched the back of his mind. Those uneven eyelids, that smell, those huge palms, and that voice- should be forgotten. If he does not, maybe he would never be able to dance under the moonlit night near the camphor tree.

A bicycle screeched. Almost bumping him. Taehyung.

'Hey, where is your mind huh? You know I have been calling you, but you are so absent minded! Even when I literally came in front of you, you didn't buzz. And what's with your speed? Joe DiMaggio taking homerun, are you?' Taehyung rapped, huffing.

'Sorry, couldn't hear you. Why did you follow me?' Jeongguk said, unable to tear away his gaze.

'Banana milk! I need to pay you for helping me.' Taehyung came in front of him, with a boxy smile.

'I- I- don't need it.'

'Come on. Take it, I can't be indebted.'

'Your name is Taehyung, right? I heard in the store.' Jeongguk said suddenly.

'Yes, and you? I don't know your name.' he seemed to be sad at just not knowing his name.

'Jeon Jeongguk.'

'Kim Taehyung.'

And suddenly, a wind passed by. Maybe, just a maybe, Totoro was flying in his cat bus. And with that, all of a sudden Jeongguk knew what he was supposed to do. Maybe if he wants, he can still be Chet Baker and dance in the moonlit night near the camphor tree. It just won't be with a girl anymore.

'Umm, Taehyung?'

'Yes? Jeongguk?'

'Do you... maybe, just a maybe, do you like jazz?'

✿_____✿