the last shell hit

The song that goes with this chapter: Experience by Ludovico Einaudi

          The battle seemed to be over as quickly as it started. The only problem was that Tech had fallen behind. Too far behind. So when the air strike came screaming through the sky. Crosshair already knew his brother wouldn't make it out of the way in time. He yelled at Tech over the coms to get moving, to hurry, to look out. The seconds seemed to turn into minutes time slowed to a freeze as Crosshair watched his little brother weave and dive his way out of the bombs. Crosshair silently cursed the regs, they had been slightly off target. Watching as his brother continued to run despite stumbling constantly. All the while Crosshair himself was running, abandoning his nest to get to his little brother. His riffle long forgotten, now full sprint toward his brother. He could hear Hunter and Wrecker calling for status. But Crosshair was too focused on making it to his Vod'ika. He didn't want to risk the oxygen to answer them. So he ran, ran so fast his muscles burned as they launched him off the ground with each step. Almost there Tech, hold on, run. The silent commands ran through Crosshairs mind as he got closer and closer. Run, keep running. But the offending Y-wings kept getting closer and closer. Dropping more shells, keep running. Crosshair tackled Tech to the ground. The later letting out a yelp of surprise as he was engulfed by his brother. He recognized that protective hold immediately and buried his forehead against his twins chest plate. They rolled to the ground, Crosshair twisting to shield his brother, then the last shell hit.

................................................................................................................................................................

When Tech awoke his head felt thick and fuzzy. His ears were ringing as he tried to adjust his sight. Only to find his goggles were cracked. Rendering them useless and not wanting glass shards in his eyes, he ripped them off and threw them away from him. He tried to remember what had happened as he looked around. Even though he couldn't see 10 inches past his nose. He remembered the data download from the console taking excruciatingly long. Then the bombers, his brothers asking for status updates. And he was running, he thought he might die. But then Crosshair....

"Crosshair!" 

Tech shifted around and saw a blob of grey hair. When did Crosshairs helmet come off? His brother had shielded him from the blast. As the ringing in his ears died out he could quietly hear his remaining brothers calling to him. And sure enough a giant moving blob adorned in red and grey could be seen. Hunter skidded to a stop on his knees by Crosshair as Wrecker checked on Tech. 

" 'm fine 'reck, lil disoriented 'rom the blast s all." Techs words were slurring as stars danced in his vision. But he tried to keep a firm hold on his consciousness by bracing himself against his older brother. Clutching to Wreckers arm like a life line. After a few seconds he remembered Crosshair and turned his attention back to where he laid. Hunter was checking the snipers pulse and Tech heard a sigh of relief preface his next orders. 

"His pulse is really weak. Wrecker grab Crosshair as carefully as you can and get him back to the Marauder. Tend to what you can. I'll see that Tech makes it back." 

Wrecker gave a short nod before slowly reaching forward to scoop Crosshair into his arms. He became slightly teary eyed at his brothers limp body. Hearing the shallow labored breaths the sniper took. As if he couldn't get enough air. Wrecker began whispering soft reassurances, though Tech wasn't sure who he was trying to convince more. Crosshair or himself? Wrecker began running, being careful to not jostle his little brother too much. Hunter turned to Tech and tentatively laid a hand on his shoulder. Before wrapping Techs arm around his own to provide himself as a crutch for his brother. The engineer was oddly quiet, which was concerning as they walked. Tech occasionally stumbling on something that wasn't there. He seemed to be fighting his own battle with consciousness.