Prologue - Betrayals and Escape

"Trust and you'll be betrayed... Escape and you'll be chased..."

________________________

HER

"Idiots! Why did you let our precious present run away?! We can't let her completely escape! Find her and bring her back inside the basement if you don't want my dagger to slit your throats! Hurry up!"

That's what my ears heard from my treacherous ex-lover before I was able to leave outside that abandoned building completely.

I continued running, carrying inside my heart the fear that they won't leave me breathing again. 

I didn't even care if I was running in the middle of the forest. What mattered to me the most as of that moment was to find my way back to my rented house.

I can't just die here! I haven't known yet the smoke inside my heart that they're avoiding to turn into fire again. I said to myself.

I couldn't even understand the reasons behind those crazy rags taking me as their hostage. They kept mentioning the groups that I didn't even know exist, even messing up my thoughts out of curiosity.

Bloody Heaven Empire... Alpha Bloody Gang... Are those unknown organizations to me, connected to my unresolved past? Or are those rags just mistakenly messing up with me?

Suddenly, I heard the loud sound of a gun, and found myself stumbled upon feeling the pain that struck in my right leg.

"No matter how hard you try, you can't run away from us," the man holding a gun said, walking towards my direction. "Just behave and wait for your death in my hands, Midnight Angel!"

"How many times will I tell you, *ssh*le, that I AM NOT MIDNIGHT ANGEL?!" I shakily shouted, still sitting on the ground and holding my bloody leg.

But he just laughed while forcefully grabbing my hair with his right hand and pointing his gun in my head.

"Trying to save yourself with your lies, huh? That trick of yours won't work for me!"

Then, Uncle Dalton arrived. I thought he came to save me, but....

"Any last words before your demise, my dear niece?"

"W-what do you mean, uncle?!" I asked, totally confused.

"That's your prize for defying my orders, dear! You chose to be too close to my enemies. I wish I had let you join your parents in hell eight years ago!"

Parents? Eight years ago? Am I, really, not a Lovelock?

Now, I know the truth behind the words that came from the mouth of the mother I know....

"You really want to know why I act like this to you? 'Cause YOU ARE NOT MY DAUGHTER! YOU ARE NOT A LOVELOCK, AND YOU'LL NEVER BE!"

... and Uncle Dalton knew my past for so long, but chose not to let me know the truth! He tricked me, too!

Before I could even ask another question, he ordered the gunman to end my life before he finally left.

I lost my hope of escaping. Tears slowly flowed down my face as I closed my eyes, waiting for the bullet to pierce through my skull.

Until I felt the hand of that gunman slowly releasing my hair, his gun falling on the ground as well. When I opened my teary eyes, I saw him lifeless.

Then, a man in black pants and black hoodie suit suddenly appeared in front of me, holding a bloody sword with a carved face of the wolf on its blade. Looking at that man's height, I guessed that he is 5 inches taller than me. I couldn't see his face, however, since it was covered with a black cloth, showing only his eyes.

Instead of calmness, fear and shock became more dominant in my heart when my savior dodged the approaching enemies, swinging his sword on their necks.

After that bloody scene before my eyes, he came back to me, then carried me like a newlywed bride without even asking for my permission.

"Where are we going?! What are you planning to do to me?!" I asked with fear.

But I received no answer from him. Instead, he ran fast towards the east part of the forest.

I felt helpless again.

"I'm begging you, please let me live!"

Still, he had no response. He just continued running until I realized that we already entered into a little hut.

I cried again, overthinking. After the traumatic things happened to me, I didn't think I could trust anyone with my life anymore.

After a while, he suddenly put me down on the couch inside and closed the door carefully. Then, he went near a small cabinet to look for something.

At that moment, my eyes landed on the sharp object on the floor, placed near the couch. Desperately, I quickly used my left foot to get that object.

If he only saved me to kill me with his hands, I won't let him succeed.

When he came back to me again, I put the sharp object I was holding to my throat.

"Don't you dare to get closer! I'll kill myself if you do!" I crazily shouted.

However, he didn't listen. He grabbed my hand, removed the sharp object on it, and pushed me against the couch.

He touched both of my cheeks with his bloody hands, and I didn't expect what he did next.

He removed the cloth covering his lips, and crushed my lips with his deep kiss.

The kiss that seemed to say I was safe with him. The kiss that suddenly stopped my world, and made my heart beat again.

My mind was confused. I seemed to have felt the touch of his lips before, but I couldn't remember when.

However, I just found myself responding to his kiss.

Little by little, all the sadness, pain, and fear in my heart caused by the lies and betrayal, and the abduction of those men I didn't know, disappeared. And it was replaced by a wish — to know the man I was with at that moment.

After a while he stopped kissing, which caused me to open my eyes. And he stared at me for a long time. Even though he is wearing a mask, I can see his teary eyes filled with both joy and sadness.

Wait... His eyes... look like those of the man I knew before!

Then he was about to kiss me again, when suddenly….

"I will always try to find you even in hell, my angel."

"AHHHHH!!!" I shouted, feeling too much pain in my head after that piece of a daydream.

I grabbed my own hair several times and to try easing the pain, but to no avail. It seemed like I couldn't resist it anymore.

I almost fell to the floor when I tried to lay down on the couch. Luckily he caught me.

I just closed my eyes. But before I completely passed out from the pain, I felt his hand treating my right bloody leg while  the last thing he said.

"I hope you will remember me at least, Marisse."

-----

A/N: Hello! Please forgive me for the lengthy prologue... Let me know what I need to improve here. I am open to criticism. Lovelots!

-glamisse-