Chapter 4

Preparing dinner was a quick affair. Melissa had a list of perfect pasta dishes for when she didn't feel like spending a lot of time over the cooker. The one she chose to prepare that night was a favourite of Isabel's, small chunks of chicken breast fried in a tomato sauce and then covered with cheese.

She lay David's meal onto a tray and then poured him a glass of sparkling water just as David entered the kitchen.

"I'm sorry," he said, his eyes roaming over the counter where his tray of food sat. "I had an online meeting, so I had to rush. I did want to suggest we order takeout."

"Well, I've cooked now."

"Yes. Thank you." His words lacked that genuine ring that such a sentiment should have and sounded more like a rehearsed pleasantry.

Melissa took her plate of food and drink over to the kitchen table and sat down. She pulled a magazine on the table closer and flicked open the cover, feigning interest in the article on the front page. The slow pull of the chair opposite where she sat pulled her gaze up to David, who sat down.

"Oh. You're eating here?" She asked, hoping her question didn't sound too disappointed.

"Sure," he said. Her tone hadn't been lost on him as he added, "Unless you don't want me."

Melissa felt her eyes roll as she looked back down at the magazine. It's getting difficult keeping up with his mood swings, she almost said out loud.

There was a time when they complemented each other perfectly. The other always knew what to say or do to ease any situation that they went through. Everybody would comment on their completeness that it almost became a given for her that, no matter what, they would stand by strengthening each other's weaknesses and soothe each other's pain, forever. But that was so far from the truth now. It almost felt like they had been completely rewired. Whenever she'd attempted to move closer to him, he had pushed her away, and on the random and not-so-often times that he felt the need to rekindle their friendship she would be at the point where she couldn't be bothered.

Noticing he hadn't started his food, she looked back up at him. He was watching her, waiting for a response she assumed.

"It's fine. Why would I mind?" she lied.

He nodded, gave a short awkward smile and then picked up his fork.

"I called Jennifer today?" he said after a few minutes of silence.

"What for?"

"To ask about taking the kids out."

"Why would you do that? I told you I would call her," Melissa said, the heat that was rising inside her apparent in her voice.

David lifted his hands in front of him, hoping to appease her. "It's okay, I didn't mean anything by it. I just wanted to get it done. I, er ..." He pushed a piece of pasta around his plate as he thought for a moment, and then he continued, his eyes still focused on his food. "I just want to make everything okay again."

Where did that come from? And why now? Melissa thought. She didn't respond, her eyes remained on him as he slowly lifted his gaze to meet hers. The heat that had sparked inside her erupted into full-blown anger that raced through her body. She clenched her teeth tightly to restrain the words that threatened to spit out at him. How dare he think that he can make things okay, just like that, after the way he has been behaving? The words didn't come out, instead, she tightened her grasp on the fork she held and stabbed it into three penne pasta, one by one and then lifted them to her mouth before going back for another three.

David watched her through narrow eyes, his gaze fixed on her hand as it went back and forth from her plate to her mouth, in what may have been one of the most uncomfortable dining experiences they would ever have to sit through. After what may have been her fifth mouthful of pasta, she put her fork into the plate, took in one long, deep breath and looked back up at David.