Click For Kansas

Click For Kansas

"Leonard isn't the source of the magic," Clara argued, ignoring the funny looks being fired her way.

"Then who is?" Eve asked, folding her arms across her chest.

"A hundred contestants, twice as many spectators - it really narrows things down, doesn't it?" Ezekiel said sarcastically.

"Thank you for that display of extravagant optimism," Clara retorted, glaring at him. "It was exceedingly uplifting."

"At least he's not dressed in just a dressing gown," Cassandra pointed out primly.

"You kidding!?" Ezekiel exclaimed, gesturing to Clara's dressing gown. "I want one of those babies too!"

"Look, we need to move methodically through all of the displays and find one that doesn't belong," Jacob said, rolling up his sleeves, "because time's ticking, folks. We need to nail that source, and fast."

"We need to follow my hunch," Ezekiel said smartly.

"What hunch?" Eve said, frowning.

"The hunch," Ezekiel said cryptically.

"A hunch isn't a scientific method," Cassandra corrected him.

"Well, it's my method," Ezekiel argued.

"Who cares about your methods when we have a Newton's Cradle," Clara said, becoming distracted despite herself, picking up a highly polished metronome, "and one of such staggering silver-plated beauty as well."

"I know," Cassandra enthused, coming over, "it's exquisite, isn't it?"

"What's it for?" Jacob said, looking stumped.

"It's an exercise in the conservation of momentum," Cassandra explained airily.

"Magic," Clara said simply.

"I rather doubt that," Jenkins said dourly, making them whirl round.

"I see you're out of the Annex," Clara said, tilting her head to the side.

"Your observational skills rival even those of Sherlock Holmes," Jenkins said deadpan.

"Why are you here, Jenkins?" Eve asked, remembering the debacle back at Bremen.

"Well, I was just going to stand around all day, waiting for one of you to call me," Jenkins said, taking a sip of his Blue Raspberry Slush Puppie, "and then I had a revelation - I have freewill. And besides, a science fair calls to something in my soul - as an underappreciated and innovative scientist myself, I admire these clever young people." He clenched his fist in appreciation, raising it up in the air like he was at a political rally. "Splendid," he said to a passing group of Goths, making them roll their kohl-rimmed eyes.

"I need to phone Flynn," Clara fired at Jenkins, returning to her original war-cry.

"Well, phone him," Jenkins said, looking at her like he was mad.

"I don't have my phone," Clara said from between gritted teeth, "and since they won't lend me theirs," she said, glaring at Eve and the others, "and I can't find a pay-phone for love or money, I'm asking you for assistance!"

"That reminds me," Jenkins said, pulling out a package from the inside pocket of his suit.

"What's that?" Clara frowned, taking it from him.

"Some appropriate attire," Jenkins said, eying her dressing gown with great disapproval.

"Wow, thanks," Clara said, taken aback.

"My little metronome," Cassandra cooed, completely oblivious to this interlude, "click for Kansas!" She pulled back one of the balls, sending it crashing into the other, but as they collided, two teenage boys crashed to the floor, their feet flying up beneath them.

"Whoa," Ezekiel said, open-mouthed.

"Hmm, magic is rewriting local reality," Jenkins observed enigmatically, "the laws of physics in this auditorium are beginning to beeeend. How... quaint."

Punctured bicycle
on a hillside desolate
will Nature make a man of me yet?