who

In his years in Aoba Josai, he never had a really serious health problem, although it was true that sometimes he had some inconveniences, it was never something to worry about, to think of as really serious and delicate issue

In his years in Aoba Josai, he never had a really serious health problem, although it was true that sometimes he had some inconveniences, it was never something to worry about, to think of as really serious and delicate issue. At 15 years old, he began to notice that it was somewhat difficult to breathe while practicing sports, nothing very serious that he blindly attributed to the idea that he may not be in good shape, but over the years the symptom kept worsening slowly. Since it was never too aggressive, he played it down, the most important thing was to be able to be the best.

Then came the nasal congestion that always return. This symptom appeared months before graduating from Aoba Josai and was really annoying when playing volleyball, but at least he managed to alleviate it with some allergy pills; it was not the cause, so the medicine was barely useful to reduce the symptom. Then, the steady weight loss followed, which he ended up attributing to the continuous exercise he was doing because it could not be due to the fact that he ate little because it was not the case.

All small symptoms that together declared war on the athlete's body. Oikawa reached one of his worst moments months after arriving in Argentina, a persistent cough with mucous became present making that the first time he could not be a starter for UPCN. But little did he know that this was only the beginning; after going to the hospital and getting a wrong diagnosis, he magically got the mucus largely expelled from his body and managed to catch up with his teammates despite muscle fatigue and stomach pain. He was able to manage to continue playing for quite a prolonged period even with such a serious untreated illness.

But everything has its limit, Oikawa was breathing a borrowed air all that time without really suffering as the other sufferers of that disease did.

At a high-performance practice, one of the most demanding there was, from one moment to the next, the brown-haired man's eyesight blurred with sudden shortness of breath and unbearable chest pain. That day, an ambulance took Tooru to the nearest hospital in the area because he had to be treated urgently, he had suffered a pneumothorax. Pneumothorax is a collapsed lung and occurs when air leaks into the space between the lungs and the chest wall, the external pressure is what finally causes the lung to collapse. He ended the day in the hospital with a tube between his ribs to remove the excess air.

While searching for the cause of the pneumothorax, it was discovered that Oikawa was suffering from cystic fibrosis, one that, thankfully for him, had been actually mild for what the disease was.

"You have been a victim of medical negligence, that persistent cough and the symptoms, both before and after, were all due to the cystic fibrosis you suffer from." explained the doctor."In your condition, it was more than assured that everything would end this way or worse. While your symptoms were mild, your lungs deteriorated to keep up with the pace of life you lead. You will have to stop playing volleyball." he said.

He could not forget it.

"Isn't there a way to continue playing." he had asked him with his crystallized eyes.