Chapter 1- Me

I woke up before my alarm today, which is unusual for me, I love to sleep. However today is my 12th birthday, it's my coming of age and the day I have my first shift, it's definitely going to happen today because I've been getting all the right signs and symptoms that my wolf is waking up and I can't wait to meet her. Mum always says being a wolf is like having a friend at all times.

It will be nice to have a friend, I really only have my Mum, Dad and my little brother Austin. I don't have many friends at school because, well to put it bluntly.... I'm chubby, so school kids being school kids like to remind me of that, I'm also a bit of a loner...

I'd prefer to read a book or cook something with mum, then run around in my spare time doing whatever kids do. I just keep to myself and hang around with my family.

I do train though, it's part of my duties for the pack, to know where to run and hide in case of an attack, we start our basic knowledge and safety training young. Dad is the head warrior and trainer and mum trains the pups, they are both incredibly strong and tough, I can't wait to be just like them and protect my pack alongside them.

We live in the High Priestess pack, we are a modest sized pack, we work well together and protect but still have fun and throw parties, the packs that surround us are larger, however Dad often goes to other packs to help them with their training schedules or to train new pack members, he really is the best warrior. When dad is away, mum misses him terribly, they are mates and have been together since they were 18, both of them being from High Priestess, they found each other straight away. Then had me a few years later and my brother 2 years after that.

Mum is amazing, she is my best friend, that's why I don't mind not having friends. She always tells me that, ill lose my baby fat when I find my wolf and start proper warrior training, not everyone starts their duty training at 12, but seeing as both my parents and grandparents were warriors, I'm bound to be one by blood.

I jump up out of bed, excited for the day to begin, I switch my alarm off and head to the bathroom. I have a quick shower and brush my teeth, knowing mum will ask!

I choose an outfit and I go with denim shorts and an old band tee tucked in at the front and my converse. I dress for comfort more than style and yep, you guessed it, I get teased for that too.

I looked in the mirror, I have dark brown eyes and fairly long lashes, small face with smooth tanned skin and light freckles over my nose, my wild wavy brown hair all over the place, I don't love my hair, I want something different, something cool and edgy... maybe I could get a haircut soon. I bound out of my room to find mum and dad sitting at the table.

They jump up and start singing "happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy Birthday to Kacey, Happy birthday to you" I jump up and down and give them a big hug. They hand me a bag full of birthday gifts.

They got me a new ipad for school and a gift card for the mall with $200 on it, yay spending spree and best of all a necklace and as I looked closer at the pendent dangling, I could see a paw print, a beautiful necklace to mark this special day. I beamed at mum and dad thanking them over and over again.

All the noise woke up Austin, he came in rubbing his eyes, he gave me a side hug with a mumbled "happy bday sis" then sitting down at the table and grabbing some OJ.

I chuckled; we both aren't morning people usually.